Mikveh Israel (מקוה ישראל; "Hope of Israel") was the first Jewish agricultural school in Palestine. The name is taken from two passages in the Book of Jeremiah - Jeremiah 14:8 and 17:13. It was proposed by Wolf Grinstein, one of the school's first students, who later taught there.
Charles Netter of the Alliance Israelite Universelle established the school in 1870 on a tract of land southeast of Tel Aviv leased from the Turkish Sultan. Netter was the first headmaster. Later, Baron Edmond James de Rothschild contributed to the upkeep of the school.