Middlesbrough railway station serves the large town of Middlesbrough in the borough of Middlesbrough and the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, England. The station is managed by First TransPennine Express and has two platforms. There are also two avoiding freight lines to the north of the station.
Although the first railway was built in the area as long ago as 1830 as an extension of the Stockton and Darlington Railway and extended eastwards to Redcar in 1846, the current station dates from 1877 - it was designed by the North Eastern Railway's chief architect William Peachey and featured an ornate overall roof (which was destroyed by a German bomb in 1942).
The station is served by a number of routes:
All routes apart from that to Manchester are operated by Northern Rail. On average (Mon - Sat), there is a train every hour to Newcastle (some of which continue along the Tyne Valley Line) and to Manchester Airport, every 30 minutes to Darlington & Saltburn and every second hour to Bishop Auckland. There is a limited service (four departures per day) on the Whitby branch with a few extra trains as far as Nunthorpe. Sundays see an hourly service to Darlington/Saltburn, one train every two hours to Newcastle, Bishop Auckland and Manchester Airport and an irregular service to Whitby (five departures per day during the summer months only - some trains run through to/from Darlington or Newcastle).
Middlesbrough is now the largest town in England without a direct train service to London, having lost this facility as part of British Rail cutbacks. However plans are being considered to reinstate this link by 2010.