Microland Limited is a private company that focuses on RIMS (Remote Infrastructure Management Services), consulting, outsourcing and IT infrastructure services. The headquarters of Microland are in Bangalore, India. Microland was started by Pradeep Kar in August 1989. The company currently has over 2100 employees. Microland's services have been delivered to more than 200 clients worldwide in recent years, many in the Fortune 500 list, whose businesses include manufacturing, chemicals, aviation, banking and finance, mortgage, health care, software, consumer level products, semi-conductors, retail chains and BPO, to name a few. Microland is currently a gold partner with Microsoft.
NASSCOM places the RIMS market in India at $14 billion. RIMS is expected to grow at a rate faster than software/hardware industry in India (Source: The Rising Remote Infrastructure Management Opportunity: Establishing India’s Leadership, a study by McKinsey & Company, March 2008, released by the National Association of Software and Services Companies, NASSCOM). The same study lists Microland as a global pure-play RIMS provider from India.
Microland primarily dealt with products and services for numerous companies who had not yet set up base in India. Microland started in Bangalore, India in August 1989 with a key focus on hardware and networking products. Over the next 5 years, Microland introduced several companies like Novell
into the Indian market. In 1998, Microland moved out of the hardware supply market and starting moving towards the ‘internet – economy’. They began developing software tools for the web and portals.
Microland started investing in the IT infrastructure services (RIMS) market as early as 2002. RIMS remains the core competency of Microland till date. It deals with both on site support and consulting, while the core of the business revolves around remote support.
San Jose, California
Princeton, New Jersey
- 1989 – Microland opens first office in Bangalore (now called Bengaluru).
- 1989 – Microland introduces Novell into India.
- 1992 – Microland introduces Compaq into India.
- 1993 – Microland introduces SynOptics and Cisco into India.
- 1995 – Microland introduces Checkpoint and Netscape into India.
- 1997 – Microland revenue hits Rs.1800 million.
- 1997, March 5 – Microland hosts Bill Gates during his maiden visit to India.
- 1997, November 20 – ‘planetasia.com’ launched. Revenues hit US $15.4 million.
- 1998 – Microland starts transition from a product based company to an internet economy.
- 1999, September 22 - ‘ITspace.com’ launched.
- 2000, April 16 – ‘Indya.com’ portal launched.
- 2000, May 30 – ‘media2india.net’ launched.
- 2000, July 25 – Net Brahma launched.
- 2001 – Indya.com acquired by Star TV group owned by Rupert Murdoch.
- 2002, January 30 – Net Brahma acquired by Metro-Optix.
- 2002 – Media2india merged with connecturf.com.
- 2002 – Microland starts transition into RIMS driven company.
- 2005 – Controlling interest in planetasia.com sold to Global Consulting Inc.
- 2005, June 2 – Microland signs partnership with Serco UK.
- Forrester report that Microland are one the early providers for IT infrastructure support. .(www.forrester.com, Dec 9,2005).
- A Forrester report suggests that smaller India-based Infrastructure Providers can be the right size for the right clients and Microland is one of those providers. .(www.forrester.com, Sept 18,2007).
- Microland has raised $11 Million funding from investors.. Retrieved on 2006-08-07..(www.redherring.com, Aug 7,2006).
- Star TV picks 15% stake in ITspace.com .. Retrieved on 2000-06-28..(www.financialexpress.com, Jun 28,2000).
- Murdoch buys indya.com.. Retrieved on 2001-08-02..(news.bbc.co.uk, Aug 2,2001).
- Microland Version 3.0: Can Pradeep Kar pull it off?. Retrieved on 2002-02-11..(www.expresscomputeronline.com, Feb 11,2002).
- Microland: Where change is the buzzword!. Retrieved on 2004-02-09..(www.expresscomputeronline.com, Feb 9,2004).
- Microland to set up B'lore facility; hire 250. Retrieved on 2004-02-09..
(www.ciol.com, Feb 9,2004).
- Sharad Heda, COO Microland Limted, interview on NASSCOM. .
(www.nasscom.in, Jan 14,2008)
- Microland secures Rs.52 crore funding. Retrieved on 2006-08-16..(www.eetindia.co.in, Aug 16,2008)
- "Pradeep Kar does not like to prognosticate about the Indian IT industry.". .
(/www.financialexpress.com, Sept 30,2007)