Mickleham appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Michelham and Micleham. It was partly held by Nigel from the Bishop of Bayeux and partly by Oswald from Richard de Tonbrige. Its domesday assets were: 7 hides; 1 church, 7 ploughs, of meadow, woodland worth 4 hogs. It rendered £10.
The A24 bypasses Mickleham with what is said to be the first dual-carriageway bypass to be built in the United Kingdom.
Across the A24, and towards Dorking, Westhumble is also part of the parish. There is a chapel there, originally a barn converted into a place of worship for the benefit of those building the railway over 100 years ago. Ninety navvies died in an accident when a tunnel they were working on collapsed; it has been posited that God was displeased with the barn conversion. Box Hill & Westhumble station provides a link to London and Horsham.
Due south of the village, at , is the manor and hamlet of Fredley. Also to the south of the village is the Burford Bridge Hotel that was frequented by Lord Nelson. Across the A24 in Norbury Parka is 'Druids Grove' which is an area of mature Yew trees indicating an ancient place of worship for Druids.
The River Mole flows nearby and indeed as its name suggests the river in places goes underground due to the chalk bed in places. An old village tale tells of the village police officer looking in his bathroom mirror one morning whilst shaving to see a mature oak tree disappear into the ground. It turned out that the river flowing underground had been gradually wearing away the supporting ground under the tree.