Methow Washington was founded in 1889 by W.A. Bolinger when he moved his store from the former mining boom-town at Squaw Creek (approx. 4 miles south). It is named after the Methow, an Interior Salish people who lived in the area. The unincorporated community has its own community center, post office, fire station, water system, two parks, and a population of about fifty residents. It also hosts the Methow Store (which started the town), a restaurant, the Methow Church, and is one of the principal starting points for River Rafting enthusiasts along the Methow River.
Methow is located 11 miles up the Methow River from the confluence of the Methow and Columbia in Okanogan County, Washington. It sits at an elevation of 1,156 feet above sea level in the foothills of the Cascades Mountains.
Methow's history is still extremely evident by just driving through town. Even through it looks different, the original Methow Store is still in business just off SR 153. Directly across the street sits a large historic stone house and homestead that was built by the Bolinger’s and is still family owned. This small town is also host to two old single room schoolhouses. One of these schoolhouses sits just north of the Methow Store and most people recognize it as the old log cabin. The other schoolhouse is now used as a community center. The tiny town of Methow has its own Methow Church, which still meets nearly hundred years after it was formed. Methow’s population has stayed consistent for the past several decades at about fifty people; however, the population of the surrounding areas has grown.