The Messenger of Mathematics is a defunct journal of mathematics.
The chief editor was William Allen Whitworth with Charles Taylor, and volumes 1-58 were published between 1872 and 1929. James Whitbread Lee Glaisher was the editor-in-chief after Whitworth.
In the nineteen century, foreign contributions represented 4.7% of all pages of mathematics in the journal.
The journal was originally titled Oxford, Cambridge and Dublin Messenger of Mathematics
. It was supported by mathematics students, and conducted by a board of editors composed of members of the three universities
. Volumes 1-5 were published between 1862 and 1871.
- Sloan Evans Despeaux (2007). "Launching mathematical research without a formal mandate: The role of university-affiliated journals in Britain, 1837–1870". Historia Mathematica 34 (1): 89.