The district of Mersch
was one of the four districts of Luxembourg
. It took its name from the site of its administrative centre, the town of Mersch
, and contained the cantons
. To date, it is the only district to have been created after the initial establishment, and also the only district to have been abolished.
The district was created on 30 May 1857. The canton of Mersch was taken from Luxembourg district, whilst Redange canton was taken from Diekirch district. However, this fourth district was abolished only ten years later, on 4 May 1867; the 1857 law was repealed, and the previous three districts were recreated as before.
The cantons and communes of Mersch district were: