The town lying on the mouth of the Hase into the Ems in the central part of the Emsland between the cities of Lingen and Papenburg.
Lying about 12 miles (20 km) from the Dutch border, the town has an area of 188.45 km² and is 15 m above sea level. The population was 34,196 as of 30 June 2005.
Quarters of Meppen:
Historical centre of Meppen with historical town hall.
Meppen, formerly a fortified town, boasts 12 centuries of history.
1360 -- Meppen is granted the right to build city fortifications by Bishop Adolf of Münster, and thereby, town rights. Over the next three centuries until 1660, Meppen is built up as a fortified town.
1762 -- at the end of the Seven Years' War, the fortifications are demolished. Some walls remain standing today, however.
1803 -- Resolutions of the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss assign Meppen to the Duke of Arenberg, to compensate for the loss of his possessions on the west bank of the Rhein. Meppen becomes the capital of the dukedom of Arenberg.
1813 -- 1814 -- Occupation by Prussia.
1855 -- Meppen connected to the Hannoverschen Westbahn railway line upon its opening.
1866 -- Hanover becomes a province of Prussia.
Since November 16 1944 about 2,500 inmates of the Neuengamme concentration camp were transported to a prisoner of war camp in the quarter Versen. They are forced to build the so called Friesenwall. On March 25 1945 the SS cleared the camp and the inmates were forced to walk toward Bremen together with the inmates of the Dalum camp. Most of them were deported back to the Neuengamme camp, some were transported to Sandbostel camp Stalag X-B. The camp in Versen is listed as no. 927 Meppen-Versen in the official German list.
Dutch chemical concern DSM is building a 20m[euro] waterborne coating resin facility at its existing site in Meppen, Germany.(Projects & Technology)(Brief article)
Dec 04, 2006; Dutch chemical concern DSM is building a 20m[euro] waterborne coating resin facility at its existing site in Meppen,...