The Mendocino Presbyterian Church
is an historic Carpenter Gothic
church building located at 44831 Main Street, in Mendocino
, It was designed by architects S.C. Bugbee and Son of San Francisco
and between 1867-1868 it was built of redwood
at a cost of $10,000 by contractor Albert Maxwell. Its board and batten
exterior walls, tall bell tower and lancet windows
are typical of many Carpenter Gothic churches. On July 5,1868, it was formally dedicated.
The church is California Historical Landmark No. 714 and is also a contributing property in the Mendocino and Headlands Historic District which was added on July 14, 1971, to the National Register of Historic Places.
In 1947 parts of the movie Johnny Belinda, which starred Jane Wyman and Lew Ayres, were filmed on the premises and the church received enough money to buy a new roof.
Today the church is an active congregation in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), and is one of the oldest continuously-used Protestant churches in California. The Rev. Dr. Donald W. McCullough, former president of San Francisco Theological Seminary, is the current pastor.