Trebišov (Tőketerebes; Trebischau) is a small industrial town in the easternmost part of Slovakia, with a population of around 23,000. The town is an administrative, economic and cultural center with machine (Vagónka), food (Frucona) and building materials industries.
The first written reference to the castle stems from 1254. The village is mentioned in 1330, when it received town status, for the first time. The castle and the village became one settlement in the 14th century.
After the fall of Communism some factories in the region were shut down and the city became the site of a kind of ghetto for approximately 4,000 Roma people people who moved in from the villages to be able to receive unemployment benefits. In the spring of 2004, in order to induce the unemployed in Slovakia to search for a job, the Slovak government immediately reduced all social benefits for long-term unemployed in Slovakia by half. This led to rioting among the Trebišov Roma population in which several shops were looted. The riot leaders claimed the Roma were starving. After three days riot police and army motorized infantry reestablished order using a water cannon against a stone-throwing crowd. In an attempt to calm down the situation, the government offered free firewood collection opportunity and free food stamps to compensate the unemployed for the loss of monetary aid.
The church has been dated already in 1404. It belongs to the Gothic architecture. The church has the main part and the aisle chapels. The interior is composed of the altars, mural paintings and a triumphal arch. On the ceiling, there are painted scenes from the life of the Virgin Mary. In the church there are set two marble epitaphs of János and Imre Perényi, pictures The Virgin Mary's Annunciation (1780), Saint Pavel Hermit (18th century), Saint Justin Martyr (1835), a stone baptistery (18th century) and the pseudo-Rococo seat. Under the church, there are crypts of the Pereny's family and Péter Szapáry and Júlia Csáky.
It was built in 1502 and two years later, Imre Perenyi invited the Pauline-monks to the monastery. The object of the Renaissance monastery in the shape of "L" has been linked right to the church with the south wing. The monastery has been reconstructed, in 1678 and in 1760. With the cancellation of the Pauliny's in 1786 by King Joseph II., the monastery has lost its original function and has been used for many purposes. Now, it houses the Basic School of Arts and the Roman-Catholic Parsonage Office.
The Immaculata is a work of art of an unknown sculptor. It has been made around 1800. There are three statues: The main is Madonna trampling on a snake; on her right there is a statue of St. John of Nepomuk; on her left a statue of the patron and protector from fire, St. Florian. At present, it is placed in its third place. Originally it was placed in front of the manor house. Later, in 1907, it was placed south of the church, on the edge of the city park. In the 1980s, it has been restored and placed between the Roman- and Greek-Catholic churches.
The headstone of the church was put in 1817. It was built by the architect József Turcsány during the years 1818–1825. It was dedicated in 1826. In 1886 its interior was rebuilt. There are a lot of icons: The Death of Virgin Mary, icons of Jesus Christ, St. Nicholas, Twelve Apostles, Virgin Mary and John the Baptist. In 1901 the temple got the sacristy, the art lustre, the ceramic paving and the art windows in 1907. In the 1920s it got the bell called "Georgij" (George).
The first stage of the construction of the water castle (probably a dwelled tower with fortifications) can be dated into the time from 12th to 13th century. Founded parts of pottery confirm that. The upper polygonal construction made by stone-based bricks was built in the second stage of construction, in the beginning of 14th century. The research confirmed that simultaneously with the fortification on the western side, an early-Gothic palace was built. On the east side of the castle a quadrangle entrance tower was built and at the courtyard was a well, fortified by stone.
The Park of Trebišov takes an area of 62 ha. The Park has been originally shaped from a swamp-mire forest. The Park layout began its realization at the end of 18th century. It grew as an English countryside forest with buttonwoods and other trees imported from around the world. Today, the Park serves for relax, recreation, cultural and social events, and as a historical-archaeological place. In the area of the Park there are, except the exciting fauna and flora, some historical monuments.
It belongs to the oldest sacral reminders of Trebišov. Its foundations were found by chance in the Centre of Young Natural Scientists in Trebišov. Its existence confirmed the records of Popes Corporals made in 1332–1337. The archaeological research shows, that the church had a rectangular boat. In 65 bone graves this dead were buried on their backs without coffins and mostly without gifts. Jewels, parts of clothing and coins were found in 16 graves. They were: earrings, rings, Hungarian coins from 2nd half of 12th century and 1st third of 13th century, 3 casted bronze crucifixes, which belonged probably to the East Church (Kyjevská Rus). Based on these discoveries, the church can be dated back into the first half of 13th century and its extension round 1400.
The Mausoleum is one of the most beautiful monuments in Trebišov. It was built in the neo-Gothic style in 1893 by the German architect Arthur Meinig. The sarcophagus is a work of the Hungarian sculptor György Zala from the years 1893–1895. In the Mausoleum there is buried the count Gyula Andrássy from 1894, the prime minister of Austria-Hungary (1867). In the sarcophagus there are relicts of his wife Katalin Andrássy. Above the sarcophagus there are two bronze cartouches with the signs of the count and his wife. Beside that there is the tinny coffin of Tódor Andrássy (1857–1905). Their souls are protected by the sculpture of an angel. Near the sarcophagus sorrows the bronze sculpture of Helena, the wife of the count Lajos Batthyány. In the interior there are the starry vault and the neo-Gothic windows.
In 1786 the count Imre Csáky started building a great Baroque castle. The three-winged castle has a ground-plan form U. The terrace is supported by eight Classicistic pillars. In the Baroque gable there are signs of the Families Csáky and Andrássy. The castle has a great French garden with a fountain and a labyrinth. From 1916, in the castle there were military barracks and after The Second World War there was a hospital. Today the castle is used as The National History Museum.