) is a German
singer and band leader of the Palast Orchester
. He and his orchestra specialise in recreating the sound of German dance and film music of the 1920s and 1930s, especially by performing songs of the Comedian Harmonists
He founded the Palast Orchester in 1986, while he was studying at the Berlin University of the Arts from 1988 to 1995 as a baritone opera singer. His career and that of the Palast Orchester began with a Schlager hit entitled "Kein Schwein ruft mich an" ("Why does no one call" aka "No pigs call me", 1992), a pop song in 1920s style, and the film Der bewegte Mann (English title: "Maybe, Maybe Not") in 1994.
He writes original music, including film music, and also creates covers of well known modern pop songs in a 1920s-1930s band style, including such songs as Britney Spears's "Oops!... I Did It Again", and Tom Jones' "Sex Bomb".
1999 saw Raabe play the role of "Mack the Knife" in Kurt Weill and Bertholt Brecht's The Threepenny Opera alongside Nina Hagen.
In 2005 he had his first concert in New York City's Carnegie Hall. He again performed at Carnegie Hall with the Palast Orchester on November 2, 2007, as part of a "Berlin in Lights" festival.
He performed at the wedding of Marilyn Manson and Dita Von Teese at Gottfried Helnwein's Irish castle on December 3, 2005.
In October, 2008, Raabe is scheduled to perform a series of shows in the U.S., with the Palast Orchester.
- 03.10.2008 MADISON, WI Overture Hall
- 04.10.2008 AURORA, IL Paramount Theatre (Aurora, Illinois)
- 05.10.2008 PRINCETON, NJ McCarter Theatre Center
- 09.10.2008 HANOVER, NH Hopkins Center for the Arts
- 10.10.2008 SOUTH ORANGE, NJ South Orange Performing Arts Center
- 11.10.2008 PITTSBURGH, PA Benedum Center for Performing Arts
- 14.10.2008 WASHINGTON DC Lisner Auditorium
- 15.10.2008 RICHMOND, VA Modlin Center for the Arts
- 17.10.2008 SANTA BARBARA, CA The Marjorie Luke Theatre
- 18.10.2008 OAKLAND, CA Paramount Theater (Oakland, California)
- 19.10.2008 MODESTO, CA Gallo Center for the Arts
- 21.10.2008 SANTA FE, NM Lensic Performing Arts Center
- 2008: Heute Nacht Oder Nie - A 2CD set of the live performance of Max Raabe and the Palast Orchester at Carnegie Hall, November 2007.