: Am Mòd
) is a small town in the Buchan
area of the Scottish
county of Aberdeenshire
. Population 610 (2004).
Located 13 miles west of Peterhead, Maud rose to prosperity in the nineteenth century as a railway junction of the Formartine and Buchan Railway that ran through Maud to Fraserburgh and Peterhead, but has always been the meeting place of six roads. It has had a variety of names:
- Bank of Behitch
- New Maud
the 'New' falling out of use to give it its current name.
Maud features an old railway station
, which closed to passengers in 1965. Walks can be taken along the old railway lines; the railway tracks were removed following the ending of freight trains in 1979. There was a mart or livestock market until recently, selling local livestock. There is also a hospital for the elderly, which was formerly a poorhouse
that opened in about 1868.