- Applying or using a mask
- Masking (in art), protecting a desired area from change during production
- Materials used to protect portions of a work from unintended change, such as masking tape, frisket, and stencils
- Masking (illustration), an art technique that influences the intended perception of a character.
- Mask (computing), AND'ing or OR'ing a bit pattern with another bit pattern to select some bits
- Masking agent, a reagent used in chemical analysis which reacts with (thus sequestering) chemical species which may interfer in the analysis
- Auditory masking, when the perception of one sound is affected by the presence of another sound
- Backmasking, a recording technique in which a sound or message is recorded backward onto a track that is meant to be played forward