is a masculine name from the Romance languages
, corresponding to the feminine Mariana
It is an Italian and Spanish variant of the Roman Marianus which derived from Marius, and Marius derived from the Roman god Mars (also see Ares) or from the Latin maris "male"
Mariano and Marian are sometimes seen as a conjunction of the two female names Mary and Ann. This name is an homage to The Virgin Mary, Mother of Jesus.
Mariano as an adjective, means pertaining or related to Maria (The Virgin Mary's name in Spanish). One interpretation can be "Maria's follower".
People named Mariano
- Mariano Azuela, Mexican writer
- Mariano Baracetti, Argentine beach volleyball player
- Mariano Barroso, Spanish filmmaker
- Mariano Egaña, Chilean statesman, created the constitution of 1833
- Mariano González, Argentine football (soccer) player
- Mariano Mojado, Spanish Esperantist
- Mariano Rampolla, Italian cardinal
- Mariano Rivera, baseball player
- Mariano Rajoy, Spanish politician
- Mariano Torres, Argentine football (soccer) player
- Mariano Trípodi, Argentine football (soccer) player
- Mariano Scartezzini, Italian long-distance runner
- Mariano Vallejo, Californian politician, military commander, and rancher
- Mariano Zabaleta, Argentine tennis player
Places named Mariano