is a north-eastern residential and commercial area of Nottingham
. The area is bounded by Sherwood
to the north-west, Thorneywood
to the south and Gedling
to the east.
The older part of Mapperley, dating from the late 19th century, is Mapperley Park
. Situated on the north eastern edge of the City of Nottingham
Boundary, this area boasts many fine Victorian
villas, some of which have been divided in flats, as well as a considerable number of middle class
inter- and post-war houses. It remains a desirable place to live and its status as a conservation area
has recently been confirmed by a Conservation Area Appraisal. Further from the city are Mapperley and the area known colloquially as "Mapperley Top", part of the suburban borough of Gedling
. This area was largely developed during the inter-war period swallowing up many acres of farmland and the old 'coppice
' to create the suburb of Mapperley as it largely exists today.
The area is located within the Mapperley Plains ward, within the Gedling area, on a raised plateau and overlooks the city giving views of over 18 miles to the River Trent and the power station at Radcliffe on Soar.
Mapperley is a relatively large geographical area, but as its boundaries are split between two local authorities it is not usually accepted as a single suburb.
Locally the name "Mapperley Top" is used to describe the collection of shops running along Woodborough Road in Nottinghamshire roughly three miles from the Nottingham city centre.
More recently BBC Radio Nottingham and NOW Nottingham a digital radio station use the transmitter location known as Mapperley Ridge.
Mapperley today is represented both on Nottingham City Council
and Gedling Borough Council. The current councillors are even split: three for the City Ward, who are Labour Party
councillors, and three for the borough, who are Conservative Party
Nottingham City Transport
- 21: Nottingham - St. Anns - Porchester - Carlton - Mapperley
- 25: Nottingham - Carlton - Gedling - Mapperley - Arnold
- 44: Nottingham - Netherfield - Gedling - Mapperley - Nottingham
- 45: Nottingham - Mapperley - Gedling - Netherfield - Nottingham
- L9: Nottingham - Carlton - Mapperley - Woodthorpe Court - Sherwood - City Hospital - Arnold - Bestwood Park
Nottingham County Council
- 198: Woodthorpe Court - Mapperley - Sherwood - Woodthorpe Court - Sherwood - Mapperley''' - Woodthorpe Court
- 54: Mapperley - Gedling - Netherfield - Victoria Park
- 154: City Hospital - Bestwood Park Estate - Arnold - Plains Estate - Mapperley - Carlton - Netherfield - Victoria Park
- 7: Nottingham - Mapperley - Lambley - Woodborough - Calverton.
- S18 Basford - Sherwood - Mapperley - Arnold - Sainsburys