The Mansion Row Historic District
in New Albany, Indiana
has been on the National Register of Historic Places
. It features the various mansions of the city when New Albany was the largest city in Indiana
around the time of the American Civil War
. The main section is on Main Street from State Street (where the Scribner House
is), to 15th Street. A smaller section is on Market Street from E. 7th Street to E. 11th Street.
Most of the buildings are of the Federal and Italianate styles, but other styles of the mansions are of Greek Revival, Gothic Revival, and Victorian. The oldest of the buildings are of the Federal style, built before Upper High Street was renamed East Main Street.
- Dr. Asahel Clapp House (1822), first brick house in New Albany
- State Bank of Indiana building (1837, Greek Revival) Built at the cost of $40,000, it was the tallest building in New Albany for a time. It was one of the ten original branches of Indiana's State Bank.
- Isaac P. Smith House (1847, Greek Revival)
- Sloan-Bicknell-Paris House (1851, Italian Villa), now the Admiral Bicknell Inn, it features a mahogany staircase with a cherry balustrade.
- Culbertson Mansion State Historic Site (1869, Second Empire)
- Washington C. DePauw House (1873, Second Empire) was the millionaire's winter home
- Holy Trinity Church (destroyed by fire in 1975)
- Culbertson Old Ladies' Home (1873), built by William Culbertson for the benefit of poor widows, it is currently a bed and breakfast.
- Samuel Culbertson House (1887, Queen Anne), built as a wedding present from William Culbertson to his son, it now holds gatherings such as weddings and class reunions.
- St. Paul's Episcopalian Church (1896, Gothic Revival)
- New Albany Masonic Temple