Malacky (-Slovak, German: Malatzka, Hungarian: Malacka) is a town and municipality in western Slovakia around 35 km north from capital Bratislava. The name of the city, which was first mentioned in writing in 1206, refers to the Hungarian word "Malacka" which means "piglet" in Hungarian and because the town seal features a pig, although some Slovaks deny the Hungarian origin of the name and argue that it refers to a local stream.
It is one of the centres of the region "Záhorie", between the Little Carpathians in the east and Morava River in the west and a cultural and economic hub for nearby villages such as Gajary, Kostolište, Veľké Leváre and Jakubov. The town is located on the large Prague-Brno-Bratislava highway, and many residents commute daily to Bratislava. The Little Carpathians mountain range with its network of signposted trails provides excellent opportunities for mountain biking.
Famous Buildings and Sites
The most prominent sites in Malacky include the Franciscan church of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, the so-called "Palffy Palace" and the renovated synagogue. The church includes a precise from 1653 of the so-called Holy Stairs (Scala Sancta
) that Christ ascended to the Pretorium of Pilate. The Palffy Palace until recently was used as a hospital and is currently unoccupied. It has recently been acquired by the local municipaty. Located in the center of Malacky is also a large, oriental-style, renovated synagogue built in 1886 which is now being used a cultural center. Adjacent to it there is sport arena "MALINA" comprising of two indoor swimming pools (25m and 12m) and a multifunctional hall used for basketball, volleyball and indoor football.
Swedwood, a subsidiary of Ikea
, operates a large lumber plant just south of the city. Additionally the Kuchyňa airbase, which is occasionally used by the US Air Force and other NATO air forces for training purposes, is located approximately 10 kilometers east of the city.
In September 2008, Slovak National Party (SNS) President Ján Slota facilitated the erection of a large Slovak cross near Malacky as a demonstration of Slovak nationalism.
According to the 2001 census
, the town had 18,063 inhabitants. 96.68% of inhabitants were Slovaks
, 1.02% Czechs
and 0.51% Hungarians
. The religious makeup was 70.35% Roman Catholics
, 19.48% people with no religious affiliation, and 1.98% Lutherans