The Main Event was a professional wrestling television series, a spin-off of the show WWF Saturday Night's Main Event and occasionally aired on NBC on Friday nights. Only the first three The Main Event episodes were shown live on NBC. The final two were taped and then shown on NBC at a later date. It mainly featured the high-card wrestlers of the WWF.
These are the results for the tapings of The Main Event
The Main Event I
- Note: The numbers are added for organizational purposes only, and were not used on the air. The show was only ever referred to as "The Main Event."
- Market Square Arena
, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Note: After winning, André the Giant "sold" the title to Ted DiBiase; the transaction was declared invalid by then-WWF President Jack Tunney and the title was declared vacated.
The Main Event II
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The Main Event III
- Joe Louis Arena
, Detroit, Michigan
- Note: Mike Tyson was originally scheduled to be the referee, but this changed following Douglas' knockout title win over Tyson just under two weeks before, on February 11. Tyson would eventually go on to be the guest referee at WrestleMania XIV.
The Main Event IV
(taped October 30
) - Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Note: The WWF Tag Team title match between The Hart Foundation and The Rockers was supposed to be on the show, but was edited out of the broadcast, due to demands from NBC for a one hour Friday night broadcast instead of a ninety minute Saturday night broadcast. To accommodate this, the WWF cut the approximately 30 minute Rockers-Hart Foundation match from the program. If this had aired, the show would have been given an extra half an hour, and aired on a Saturday, making it a Saturday Night's Main Event show. The Rockers defended their newly won tag team titles a few times before the WWF rehired Jim Neidhart, pairing him with Bret Hart once more, and quietly handing the belts back to the Hart Foundation, in essence whitewashing The Rockers' reign from the history books. Retrospectively, the WWF explained that the title change cancellation was due to a ring rope malfunction during the match in the second fall (which did occur, but was not the primary reason for Neidhart and Hart being handed back the title belts).
- The match can be seen unedited in Shawn Michaels: Heartbreak & Triumph DVD
The Main Event V
(taped January 28
) - Macon, Georgia