Mega Channel, also known as Mega TV, was the first private network to launch in Greece. Mega launched on November 20, 1989 and is owned by Teletypos S.A.. Like its rival ANT1, Mega airs programming consists mainly of Greek programmes including comedies & dramas, news, current affairs and entertainment shows. The recent years, MEGA has overtaken ANT1 as the most popular channel in Greece with hit shows like Sto Para Pente, Oi Aparadektoi, Anastasia and Emeis ki emeis.
Logo and Copyrights
The Mega Channel logo used to considered 10 or 12 multicolored lines. with MEGA
in the middle and sometimes channel were located at the bottom. The color started from yellow, golden yellow, gold, mandarin, slightly orange at both sides, orange-rose, orange-pink, rose and pink. Today's Mega channel logo is Text MEGA, ME- are widened to the left and -GA are widened to the right. "Meg" and "Ega" (a computer-generated imagery cat
and a dog
respectively) which appear frequently in the tv-station's indents, especially on Christmas, Easter or summer spots, can be considered as the mascots of the station.
2002/2003 season: Meg & Ega
2003/2004 season: Για να δούμε (Let's see!)
2004/2005 season: I love TV
2005/2006 season: Megalicious (Mega+delicius)
2006/2007 season: Αυτό είναι Megalicius (This is Megalicius)
2007/2008 season: Θα πεις Megalicius (You will say Megalicius)
2008/2009 season: Megalicious (Mega+delicius)
Broadcasts and agreements with foreign companies
The station is located on Mesogeion Avenue in Athens
. Up until recently it was located in the town of Paeania
. It is broadcast on channels 7 and 25 in Athens. Signals can be received all over Greece and Cyprus and Mega Channel is also carried on digital cable systems and satellite systems. Until 2001, Mega Channel was the sole broadcaster of the Hanna-Barbera
programs. It broadcasted the Greek language versions of The Flintstones
. The programs after the change are not included in this channel. Reruns still continue. Since 2000, Mega Channel has been broadcasting an international satellite service exclusively for Greek co-patriots living in North America
, Mega Cosmos
2007-2008 Season Programming
News and Talk Shows
- Kοινωνία ώρα MEGA, a revamped version of its predecessor (Κοινωνία ώρα 8). Current affairs show that examines the issues affecting everyday people in Greece and abroad. Features discussion with in-studio guests. The show is hosted by Γιώργος Οικονομέας and Δημήτρης Καμπουράκης. Airs Monday - Friday at 6:30am.
- Mega Γεγονότα (Mega News), news from around Greece and the world in Greek at 2pm, 5:30pm (update) & 8pm (local time). With Olga Tremi and various commentators. For almost a decade, the major news Anchor for Mega Channel was journalist Nίκος Χατζηνικολάου, who is now the news department director in Alter TV.
- Mega Σαββατοκύριακο - Morning show for the Weekend. It features news, sports highlights, current affairs and more. Mega Savvatokyriako is in its 2nd year, hosted by Iωρδάνης and Μανόλης. Airs Saturdays, Sundays at 7am.
- Από νωρίς, morning show with news, entertainment and more. Hosted by Mάρω Λεωνάρδου, airs Monday - Friday at 5:45am.
- Από νωρίς και το σαββατοκύριακο, weekend morning show with news, entertainment and more. Hosted by Εριφιλλη, airs Saturdays, Sundays at 6am.
- Όμορφος κόσμος το πρωί, an entertainment show on its fourth season, features entertainment, music and more. It is hosted by Γρηγόρης Αρναούτογλου, Κωνσταντίνος Αγγελίδης, Σίσσυ Χριστίδου and Tάνια . Airs Mondays - Fridays at 10am.
- Mega Star - Informative show that focuses on the Greek music scene, it has been a staple on Mega Channel for 16 years. Hosted by Evi Adam, airs Saturdays at 1pm.
- Boukia Kai Syxorio - Cooking show, showcases cuisine from across the country and around the world, hosted by Elias Mamalakis. Airs Saturdays at 7pm.
- Traction, a car show presented by Costas Stephanis. Airs Saturdays at 2:50pm.
Game and Reality Shows
Airs Tuesdays at 21:00pm.
Airs Mondays at 22:00pm.
Airs Tuesdays at 23:00pm.
Airs Mondays at 21:00pm.
Airs Thursdays at 21:00pm.
Airs Wednesdays at 22:00.
Airs Sundays at Midnight
Airs Fridays at 21:00pm.
- November 20, 1989: Mega Channel went on the air and became one of the most popular channels. The first program was broadcasted.
- Late 1990s: Mega's website (megatv.com) was launched.
- Late 1990s: Mega became the sole broadcaster of the UEFA soccer matches and draws.
- 2000-2001: Mega Channel launches their international network in North America on channel 602 on Dish Network and in Australia.
- April or May 2001: Mega signs contract with its journalist to keep reporting, during a strike which affected other channels of broadcasting news bulletins on hold, for a couple of days. There have been several general strikes which caused Mega and other channels stopped broadcasting bulletins and other programming for one day.
- September 2002: Mega introduces Meg and Ega (it's mascots) to its network.
- November 26, 2003: Another journalist strike cripples the Mega News broadcasts.
- October 2004: The slogan changed to I Love TV, the love is in a form of the symbol as I♡TV.
- Late 2005: Mega Cosmos returns to Australia after a 5 year absence through UBI World TV.
- 2005-2007: Mega launched a sitcom called Sto Para Pente that would outmarch every other comedy show ever broadcasted in Greece and would become one of the most popular shows in Greek television history. The show is currently at its second season.
- 2005/2006: Mega changed their slogan to "Megalicious".
- Late 2006: Mega Cosmos in the U.S. moves from Dish Network to rival DTH provider DirecTV.
- October 2007: Mega Cosmos returns to Canada after a 4 year absence through Ethnic Channels Group; its available on Rogers Cable & Bell TV.
Mega Cosmos is the international network of Mega Channel that broadcasts the 'best of Mega' programming to Greeks abroad in North America, Africa, Asia and Australia. The channel first started broadcasting in 2000 but was taken off the air in Australia sometime later due to contractual problems. As of late 2005, Mega Cosmos is now once again available in Australia thanks to a new deal signed with UBI World TV, a satellite platform that broadcasts mainly foreign programming. On December 1, 2006 Mega Cosmos moved from the Dish Network platform to DirecTV, in the United States. In October 2007, the channel began broadcasting in Canada through Ethnic Channels Group on Rogers Cable, Bell TV and NEXTV (IPTV provider).