The mountain is often climbed as a traverse from the Felikjoch (West), to the Listjoch (East) or vice versa. The traverse consists mostly of a narrow, snow-covered ridge, with some scrambling over rocks. In good conditions, this route is fairly easy and objectively safe, however in bad snow conditions and/or bad visibility, the ridge can be challenging because of large, sometimes double, cornices, mainly on the southern side of the ridge.
The eastern and highest of the two peaks is 4,527 m high, and was first ascended in 1861 by a 14-man team (eight Englishmen and six Swiss guides) led by J. F. Hardy and including William Edward Hall, up the east ridge. The ridge as a whole was first traversed three years later by Leslie Stephen, Edward Buxton, Jakob Anderegg and Franz Biener.