There were 719 households out of which 39.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.5% were married couples living together, 9.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.1% were non-families. 22.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the village the population was spread out with 28.2% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 32.8% from 25 to 44, 16.4% from 45 to 64, and 13.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32 years. For every 100 females there were 98.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.4 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $45,000, and the median income for a family was $50,795. Males had a median income of $32,813 versus $23,897 for females. The per capita income for the village was $17,856. About 2.6% of families and 5.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.8% of those under age 18 and 17.2% of those age 65 or over.
Luxemburg was settled in the 1850’s by the Arendt and Colle families on the north end of town and the Kaut and Merens families on the south side. They came from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. A few years later the Daul, Peot, and Wahl families arrived from Germany.
The railroad passed through Luxemburg, connecting Sturgeon Bay, WI and Green Bay, WI in the early 1890s bringing growth and new business opportunities. Edward Decker conceived the idea of connecting the two cities with a rail line. It was through his efforts the Ahnapee & Western Railway Co. was formed. The line passed through wooded areas and “swampers” cleared the brush and felled trees. Any laborer handy with pick and shovel was able to secure work. Hand laborers received from $1.00 to $1.25 for a ten-hour day. A farmer with team and scraper received $3.00 per day. The first full car of freight came over the line to Ahnapee (now Algoma, WI) in September 1892. Fare was three cents a mile.
The first business in Luxemburg was erected close to the railroad tracks in 1892 by Hector Boncher, called the “Wisconsin House.” The village of Luxemburg expanded rapidly with the establishment of Jule Petry’s lumber yard and shingle mill in 1902. Also in 1902, telephone service arrived connecting the community with nearby business centers. Homes and stores were built, the grain elevator was erected, and the bank received its charter in 1903, giving the town a firm foundation for progress. In 1903 Nick Kaut plotted out the west side of Main Street into lots and Desire Colle, owner of the opposite side of Main Street, followed suit a year later.
About this time Dr. Felix Moraux was the first physician. Victor Kaye had charge of the Cargill elevator. Joe Rothe decided to open a furniture store, Fred Radue gave haircuts and shaves in a small building in the rear of the Wisconsin House, and Vojta Nuhlicek opened the first harness shop. A cider press was operated in back of Casper Loberger’s store to quench one’s thirst. In rapid order came other projects, including John Linzmeier’s butcher shop, John Dupont’s jewelry store and Desire Colle’s tavern.
The village formed its school district in 1906 and occupied a room of the Felix VanDrisse building on Main Street with F.J. Kelliher wielding the birch rod. As Luxemburg grew the need for fire protection, street improvements, and other public services set the stage for incorporation in 1908. In 1911 the village population was 402.
In 1911 the Kewaunee branch of Green Bay & Western Railroad constructed a new turntable at Casco Junction (now the Town of Casco, WI) to handle the new Mogul locomotive, but the station was later abandoned in favor of connecting in Luxemburg. A Luxemburg station dock was constructed in 1913 and upgraded three years later with a cement platform and refrigerator compartment facilitating trade to the area.
From 1917 to 1919 some of the business establishments installed gas lighting systems for better vision. Work was started on the electric power line from Green Bay, WI to Sturgeon Bay, WI in 1920. Electricity was available for residents as of April 5, 1921. Street lights were installed on poles along the side of Main Street that same year. Citizens of Luxemburg voted for sewer and water in July 1943 and work was started in 1947 for the village pumping station. South Luxemburg requested sewer service for 14 homes, 2 taverns, St. Mary’s School and a cheese factory in August 1948.