Designed by the architectural firm of Carrere and Hastings, it was built by producer Charles Dillingham and opened as the Globe Theatre, in honor of London's Shakespearean playhouse, on January 10 1910 with a musical entitled The Old Town. Although it was situated on 46th street with a grand Beaux-Arts facade, it also had a small entrance on Broadway between 46th and 47th Streets. Most of the Globe's early shows were dramatic plays, including two revivals of La Dame aux Camélias. In the late teens and 1920s, the focus shifted to musicals.
In the 1930s, the Globe was converted into a movie house operated by the Brandt chain. City Playhouses Inc. bought it in 1957 and had the firm Roche and Roche extensively renovate it. Major changes were made, including the removal of the second balcony level, the Broadway entrance, and much of the original decor. It was rechristened the Lunt-Fontanne in honor of Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne and reopened on May 5 1958 with Friedrich Dürrenmatt's The Visit, starring the distinguished theatrical couple. The theatre, which seats 1415, presently is owned by the Nederlander Organization.