Lund

Lund

Lund, city (1990 pop. 62,910), Malmöhus co., S Sweden. It is a commercial and industrial center and a rail junction. Manufactures include paper, packaging, printed materials, and clothing. Mentioned (c.920) in the sagas as Lunda, it became the Roman Catholic archiepiscopal see for Scandinavia in 1103-4 and subsequently flourished as an ecclesiastical and trade center. The city declined after it became (1536) a Lutheran bishopric, and it was devastated during the Danish-Swedish wars of the 17th cent. It passed definitively to Sweden in 1658 with Skåne prov. In 1668 Charles XI dedicated the Univ. of Lund, where the poet Esaias Tegner (1782-1846) later taught. The theological faculty of the university was well known in the 19th cent. The city is also the site of a technical university. Lund has a fine 11th-century Romanesque cathedral and a museum of folk customs.

Lund is a municipality in Rogaland county, Norway. The administrative center of the municipality is the village of Moi. The parish of Lunde was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt). Heskestad was merged with Lund on 1 January 1965.

General information

Name

The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old Lund farm (Old Norse: Lundr), since the first church was built there. The name is identical with the word lundr which means "grove". Before 1889, the name was written "Lunde".

Coat-of-arms

The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted on 14 December 1984. The arms show three joined acorns. The acorns symbolize the many oak trees in the municipality, as well as many toponyms and names of farms, which start with Eik (oak), such as Eik, Eike, and Eikeland.

See also

References

Search another word or see Lundon Dictionary | Thesaurus |Spanish
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature
FAVORITES
RECENT

;