Loyola University New Orleans is a private, co-educational and Jesuit university located in New Orleans. Originally established as Loyola College in 1904, the institution was later chartered as a university in 1912. It was founded by the Roman Catholic religious order of the Society of Jesus and bears the name of the Jesuit patron, Saint Ignatius of Loyola. Loyola is one of twenty-eight member institutions that make up the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities and, with its current enrollment of more approximately 5000 students, is the largest Catholic university in the United States south. Loyola University New Orleans is the ranked sixth best institution among Southern regional universities offering masters and undergraduate degrees. In the 2008 issue of the annual America's Best Colleges issue and guidebook published by U.S. News & World Report. The Princeton Review also features Loyola New Orleans in the 2007 edition of its annual book, The Best 361 Colleges.
Loyola’s history dates back to the early 18th century when the Jesuits first arrived among the earliest settlers in New Orleans and Louisiana.
Loyola University New Orleans was founded by the Society of Jesus in 1904 as Loyola College on a section of the Foucher Plantation bought by the Jesuits in 1886. A young Jesuit, Fr. Albert Biever, was given a nickel for street car fare and told by his Jesuit superiors to travel Uptown on the St. Charles Streetcar and found a university. As with many Jesuit schools, it contained both a college and preparatory academy. The first classes of Loyola College were held in a residence behind Most Holy Name of Jesus Church. Fr. Biever was the first president. The first of Loyola's permanent buildings was undertaken in 1907, with Marquette Hall completed in 1910.
In 1911, the Jesuit schools in New Orleans were reorganized. The College of the Immaculate Conception, founded in 1847 in downtown New Orleans, split its high school and college divisions and became solely a secondary institution, now known as Jesuit High School. Loyola was designated as the collegiate institution and was chartered as Loyola University on July 10, 1912.
Loyola grew steadily over the years on its uptown campus. By the end of its first decade, the university not only included the College of Arts and Sciences, but also a School of Law (1914), a School of Dentistry (1914), and a College of Pharmacy (1919). Several years later, a School of Music was added to the growing curriculum. At the time, the university's campus consisted mainly of Marquette and Bobet Halls, with large athletic fields extending back towards the end of the campus at Freret St. Loyola has the distinction of transmitting the first radio broadcast
in the Deep South, when WWL
began operation as a laboratory experiment on March 31
With the discontinuance of the football program in the 1930s, more space became available for construction of new facilities. Stallings Hall, built as a dedicated building for the College Of Business Administration, and the Memorial Library (now known as the "Old Library") were constructed in the post World War II years, accommodating the growth of the student population.
More expansion continued in 1964, with the addition of the Joseph A. Danna Student Center; Albert Biever Hall, a student residence hall named after the first university president; and a central heating/cooling plant. Built soon after in 1967 was Henrietta Buddig Hall, a student residence that is Loyola's tallest building at twelve stories. The last building to be added in the 1960s was the J. Edgar Monroe Science Building (now known as Monroe Hall), the largest academic building erected to date.
In 1984 Loyola purchased the facilities of St. Mary’s Dominican College, a nearby Roman Catholic women's college which was closing down, and transformed it into the Broadway campus (after the name of its street location). Today, the Broadway campus includes Loyola's School of Law, Cabra Residence Hall, and a Department of Visual Arts.
Expansion in recent years has seen the addition of Mercy Hall, purchased in 1993, a former girl's preparatory academy; construction of Carrollton Hall, an upperclassman residence; and the J. Edgar and Louise S. Monroe Library, the latter two completed in 1999.
In 1996, the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities granted exclusive branding rights to Loyola University Chicago to call itself Loyola University. This resulted in Loyola New Orleans' current trademark, Loyola University New Orleans.
In August 2005, Loyola closed its campus and evacuated its students in anticipation of Hurricane Katrina
. The campus sustained minimal wind damage including broken windows but floodwaters did not breach any buildings. Following cleanup, classes resumed on Monday, 2006-01-09
. Despite the displacement of the entire student body during the fall 2005 semester, 91 percent of Loyola’s undergraduate students returned for the spring 2006 semester. Loyola held commencement ceremonies for the Class of 2006 on April 28-29, becoming the first New Orleans college to do so post-Katrina.
On 2006-04-10, President Kevin Wm. Wildes, S.J. unveiled PATHWAYS - Toward Our Second Century, Loyola's strategic post-Katrina plan. The plan restructured the University's colleges and eliminated several academic programs and faculty positions to reduce operating costs and revitalize the University. "PATHWAYS" was widely criticized by students and staff who felt uninvolved in the decision-making process. The Board of Trustees, however, unanimously approved and passed the plan on 2006-05-19. In response, the faculty of the College of Arts and Sciences produced a vote of no-confidence in both the President Wildes and the Provost Walter Harris.
In Fall 2006, Loyola welcomed the class of 2010, the first post-Katrina freshman class, with 555 new students.Since the storm, Loyola has completed all physical repairs that were caused by the hurricane, and its enrollment is on a steady rise to pre-Katrina numbers.
There have been sixteen presidents since the establishment of Loyola College in 1904.
- Albert H. Biever, S.J. (1904-1913)
- Alphonse E. Otis, S.J (1913-1919)
- Edward A. Cummings, S.J. (1919-1924)
- Francis X. Twellmeyer, S.J. (1924-1925)
- Florence D. Sullivan, S.J. (1925-1931)
- John W. Hynes, S.J. (1931-1936)
- Harold A. Gaudin, S.J. (1936-1939)
- Percy A. Roy, S.J. (1939-1945)
- Thomas J. Shields, S.J. (1945-1952)
- W. Patrick Donnelly, S.J. (1952-1961)
- Andrew C. Smith, S.J. (1961-1966)
- Homer R. Jolley, S.J. (1966-1970)
- Michael F. Kennelly, S.J. (1970-1974)
- James C. Carter, S.J. (1974-1995)
- Bernard P. Knoth, S.J. (1995-2003)
- William J. Byron, S.J. (2003-2004 (acting))
- Kevin Wm. Wildes, S.J. (2004-Present)
The seal, which was adopted by the university in 1929, features the coat of arms
of the house of Loyola with the emblem of the Society of Jesus at the top. Central to the seal are two wolves and a golden pot, which come from St. Ignatius Loyola
's family crest
and symbolize generosity (having enough to give to the wolves). Above the figures of the wolves appears the fleur-de-lis
, which represents the French origin of New Orleans and Louisiana. Beneath it is a pelican
feeding its young with her own blood; this ancient symbol of Christianity (Christ feeding the Church with his body and blood through the Eucharist
) depicts Loyola as an institution of the state of Louisiana.
Loyola is home to 5,000 students, including 3,000 undergraduates. The student to faculty ratio is 11 to 1. The Princeton Review
features Loyola New Orleans in the 2007 edition of its annual book, The Best 361 Colleges.
The New York-based education services company says Loyola New Orleans offers students an outstanding undergraduate education.
Nearly all classes are taught by full-time faculty, 91 percent of whom hold doctoral or equivalent degrees in their areas of expertise. Loyola professors have been recognized nationally and internationally by the Pulitzer Committee, the National Science Foundation, the National Endowment for the Humanities, and by numerous other associations.
Loyola is organized into colleges specializing in the liberal arts
and physical sciences
and certain professions
. The colleges at Loyola include:
- College of Humanities and Natural Sciences
- College of Social Sciences
- The Joseph A. Butt, S.J., College of Business
- College of Music and Fine Arts
- College of Law
College of Humanities and Natural Sciences
The College of Humanities and Natural Sciences focuses on areas concerning the natural sciences and liberal arts programs. It contains the departments of English, history, languages, philosophy, religious studies, psychology, biology, liberal studies, chemistry, mathematics, and physics. Also under the college's supervision is the Loyola Institute for Ministry (LIM).
College of Social Sciences
The College of Social Sciences specializes in areas that deal with the human condition
. The College of Social Sciences contains the departments of counseling, criminal justice, human and organizational development, sociology, and political science. The college also includes the Schools of Nursing and Mass Communication.
The Joseph A. Butt, S.J., College of Business
The College of Business began as an outgrowth of the College of Arts and Sciences and became a full fledged college in 1947. In 1983, the College of Business was renamed in honor of Joseph A. Butt, S.J., a longtime Jesuit professor in the business college. The College of Business is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
(AACSB), a prestigious honor awarded to only 450 business schools worldwide. The college offers programs in the fields of economics, finance, international business, management, marketing, and accounting.
College of Music and Fine Arts
The College of Music was established when the New Orleans
Conservatory of Music and Dramatic Art was incorporated into the university in 1932. The College of Music gives students the chance to combine liberal arts with professional music courses. It is the only Jesuit
college of music in the United States
. The college offers programs in Jazz Studies, Music Education, Music Therapy, Music Industry Studies, Instrumental Performance, Vocal Performance, Ballet, Theatre Arts, and Visual Arts. In April 2007, the Thelonious Monk
Institute of Jazz Performance announced its relocation to the College of Music and Fine Arts from the campus of the University of Southern California
. The Music Industry program was one of the first in the country, and combines both the performing and technical aspects of the music business.
College of Law
Loyola's law school
opened in 1914. Co-located
for many years on the main campus of Loyola, the Law School moved to the new Broadway campus in 1986, after Loyola purchased the closed campus of St. Mary’s Dominican College
in 1984. The School of Law was renamed the College of Law with the passage of the PATHWAYS Plan on May 19
Centers and Institutes
The University houses institutes in many different disciplines:
- Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz Performance
- Center for Environmental Communications
- Center for the Study of Catholics in the South
- Gillis Long Poverty Law Center
- Jesuit Center
- Jesuit Social Research Institute
- Lindy Boggs National Center for Community Literacy
- Loyola Institute for Ministry (LIM)
- Shawn M. Donnelley Center for Nonprofit Communications
- Twomey Center for Peace Through Justice
Loyola is located in the historic Audubon Park District
on St. Charles Avenue
. Its original campus, now called the Main Campus, was founded on a tract of land purchased by the New Orleans Jesuits in 1889. The purchased portion of land was much larger than the current day campus; in fact, the original land purchase contained the land now occupied by both Loyola and Tulane
Universities and Audubon Place. Through the next twenty years, portions of the original land purchase were sold to different entities to raise money for the new university, resulting in the current Main Campus area of 19 acres
By the 1950s, most of the original campus had been developed and the university looked around for areas where it could expand. In the 1960s, J. Edgar Monroe, a major benefactor of the university, donated to Loyola a large undeveloped tract of land in Metairie where the university could either expand or wholly relocate to. After reviewing its options, including the sale of the original campus to Tulane University, the university decided to remain on St. Charles Avenue, subsequently selling off its property in Metairie in ten years as a condition of the donation.
The closure of St. Mary's Dominican College in 1984, provided an opportunity for Loyola to expand its campus. After renovation of the closed college and some new construction, the Broadway Campus was opened in 1986, with several university offices and programs, the school of law most significantly, moving to the new campus.
Loyola's first campus, the Main Campus is located on St. Charles Avenue
across from Audubon Park
and adjacent to Tulane University
, which also fronts St. Charles. The St. Charles Streetcar
passes in front of the main campus.
The Main Campus contains the majority of the undergraduate academic divisions on campus, as well as serves as the hub of campus activities. Fronting St. Charles is Marquette Hall, the oldest campus building which serves as the iconic image of the university. Several quadrangles organize the campus proceeding from the front of campus to its northern border at Freret Street, including the Academic quad, the Plaza De Los Martires De La Paz, or Peace Quad, named after the Salvadoran martyrs of 1989, and the Residential Quad. Other notable buildings include the Joseph Danna Student Center, J. Edgar and Louise S. Monroe Library, Bobet Hall, J. Edgar Monroe Hall, the Music and Communications Building, and Branch Knox Miller Hall.
Named after the Jesuit explorer Fr. Jacques Marquette
, S.J., Marquette Hall is one of the most prominent buildings on campus. Begun in 1907, it was finished in 1910. After its completion, most of the classes of the college and later, the university were conducted in the building until the construction of Bobet Hall in the late 1920s. The university's first library, the Bobet Library, was located on the third floor of Marquette Hall until the Memorial Library was constructed in the 1950s. When the dentistry school began its operations, the fourth floor of Marquette was used partly as a cadaver
dissection area, and an external winch
was used to hoist the cadavers up the four floors. Today, Marquette primarily functions as an administrative building, but some classes are still conducted there. Also, the main theatre
used by the Theatre Arts
program is housed on the third floor of the building.
J. Edgar and Louise S. Monroe Library
The J. Edgar and Louise S. Monroe library is the main university library, constructed in 1999, replacing the Memorial Library built in 1950. The 150,000 square foot
library includes 377,000 books and periodicals and online access to 36,000 journals and 27,000 e-books
. Its music collection includes over 20,000 scores and recordings, and the special collections and archives include material concerning Jesuits
in New Orleans
and the U.S. South
The library has won numerous awards in its existence, including the Association of College & Research Libraries’ 2003 "Excellence in Academic Libraries Award and the 2004 H.W. Wilson
Award for Professional Development. More so, the library ranks 7th in the “Best College Library” category of The Princeton Review's 2009 edition of The Best 361 Colleges
The former campus of St. Mary's Dominican College
, the site was purchased by Loyola in 1984. Broadway Street forms its downtown border, and fronts St. Charles Avenue. The campus is located in the Greenville neighborhood, a former plantation and town annexed by New Orleans in the 19th Century. Greenville Hall, a Registered Historic Place
built in 1889, forms the focus of the small campus, along with the College of Law building.
Loyola University New Orleans' Law Library is located in the College of Law building on the Broadway Campus. It contains over 286,000 volumes and microfilm for the support of the students and faculty of the College of Law. Due to the unique tradition of civil law in Louisiana
, the library has substantial collections from civil law jurisdictions from around the world, including France
, and Quebec
Danna Student Center
The epicenter of Loyola's on-campus life is the Dr. Joseph A. Danna Center, built in 1969. The Danna Student Center houses many services, including dining facilities at the Orleans Room and Satchmo's, the campus bookstore, lounges, and student organization and university offices. In 2008, the university completed a US$3
million renovation of the Danna Student Center under the guidance of architect alumnus Henry R. Muñoz III, improving the organization and services of the building.
University Sports Complex
The University Sports Complex, formerly called the Recreational Sports Complex or Rec Plex, houses all the athletic facilities on Loyola's campus. It was constructed in 1987 and paid for in full by Freeport-McMoRan
. The complex is situated on the fifth and sixth floors of the Freret Street parking garage
The Complex features many modern amenities, including a jogging track; indoor tennis, racquetball, and basketball courts; weight rooms; and a six-Lane, Olympic style swimming pool - the largest suspended pool in North America.
Loyola is governed by the Student Government Association (SGA), a students' union
divided into three branches- the executive, legislative, and judicial branches. Each branch is run independently from the others, with each having a head of the branch. The executive branch is headed by the president and his cabinet, the legislative branch has the de facto congresspersons-at-large, and the judicial branch is headed by the chief justice. One of SGA's most significant powers is budget allocation, whereby each university sanctioned organization is allotted a certain amount of money for the upcoming year.
The student-run weekly newspaper, The Maroon
, was established in 1923. It is published weekly during the spring and fall semesters. The Maroon has been nominated for the Associated Collegiate Press
' National Pacemaker Award
six times and won the award in 1983, 1986, 1998, 1999, and 2006.
Other student publications include The Wolf,
Loyola's annual yearbook, ReVisions,
the annual literary arts journal, Hyster,
the Women's Issues Organization's zine
, and Reader's Response,
which publishes the single best paper from each of the English Department's literature and theory courses.
Each semester, a small group of students intern for The New Orleans Review, an international journal of contemporary poetry, fiction, nonfiction, art, photography, film and book reviews, founded in 1968 and published by Loyola University.
Loyola University Community Action Program
The Loyola University Community Action Program, commonly referred to as LUCAP, was founded in 1975 by a student group led by Loyola students Robert Guasco and Mary Baudouin as an organization connecting students with community service
, social justice, and advocacy work in New Orleans and abroad. LUCAP is the largest student organization on campus, due largely to its inclusive membership of any current or former project volunteer. LUCAP partners with local non-profit organizations
including Habitat for Humanity
, Green Light New Orleans
, and the Gulf Restoration Network
to provide students with opportunities to serve in their community. LUCAP successfully organized against Freeport-McMoRan
in 1995 after the company donated money to Loyola University New Orleans to found the Institute for Environmental Communications, build sports facilities, and support the Twomey Center for Peace Through Justice. The organization cited Freeport's history of lack of regard for environmental quality and its history of human rights violations
in the developing world. LUCAP organized student protest
led to Freeport requesting their donation be returned.
Other organizations include Circle K International
, Big Brothers/Big Sisters
, Peers Advocating Wellness (PAWS), and many others. Many students took a lead in rebuilding New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina through these service organizations.
Loyola is home to 12 different social fraternities and sororities
that encompass over 20 percent of the undergraduate population. Presently, none of the Greek organizations own official houses. The last Greek organization to own a house was Alpha Delta Gamma
, whose house burned in January 2006. Since the burning of the ADG house on Freret Street, it has been demolished, just two blocks from Loyola's Main Campus. Loyola's Greek organizations are governed by three councils, the Interfraternity Council
, the Panhellenic Association
, and the National Pan-Hellenic Council
Loyola's sports teams are nicknamed the Wolfpack. They participate in the NAIA
's Gulf Coast Athletic Conference
. Loyola's six intercollegiate teams are almost wholly funded through student activity fees per a student referendum passed in 1991. In 1972, Loyola suspended its athletics program, citing "educational and financial" reasons. However, in 1991, the athletics program was reinstitued, amid student appeals for its reinstatement, including the aforementioned referendum. Since 2003, the athletic department has offered three athletic scholarships in basketball
to attract talent.
Locally, Loyola's biggest rival is the adjacent Tulane University, and the annual basketball game between the two teams is one of biggest athletic events at Loyola. Spring Hill College
is also another rival in conference play. The Pack Pride Committee was founded in 2007 to promote athletics and to encourage community members to be "Proud to be Part of the 'Pack'".
Notable Faculty and Alumni
The College of Pharmacy was closed in 1965, while the School of Dentistry closed in 1970.