The Hancock House
is a historic structure in the Hancock's Bridge section of Lower Alloways Creek Township, New Jersey
. It was the site of the 1778 Hancock's Bridge massacre. The site is on the National Register of Historic Places
Built in 1734 for Judge William and Sarah Hancock, the house featured a blue glazed brick pattern, which gave the year of construction, 1734, and the initials of the couple for whom is was built, 'W S' for William and Sarah. William died in 1762, and passed th house to his son William, also a judge.
British troops, frustrated by rebel resistance, crossed Alloway's Creek
in the early morning of March 21
. They entered the house in the early morning of March 21, and attacked all the members of the local militia. Under the orders of Major J. G. Simcoe they were to "spare no one"