Loose: The Concert
is the first live DVD
from the Canadian pop singer-songwriter Nelly Furtado
. Loose: The Concert
was released by Festival Mushroom
and Warner Bros.
on November 16 2007
, November 19 2007
in United Kingdom
and on November 20 2007
in United States
. The set includes all Furtado's hit singles and live versions from her third studio album Loose
starting with her first single "Promiscuous
" to "Do It
", and almost everything in between, combined with her singles from her previous studio albums Whoa, Nelly!
such as "I'm like a Bird
", "Turn off the Light
" and "Powerless (Say What You Want)
". The DVD also known as Loose Live
. This DVD showcases Nelly's homecoming Toronto
show, the culmination of the massive Loose world tour
which covered five continents . Nelly Furtado also stated on the promotional video of Loose: The Concert
that she'd perform about 10 singles from the album Loose
. A live CD
was released with the DVD.
Nelly Furtado released her first live CD/DVD after the huge success of her third album Loose
which was released over one year before the release of her DVD especially that her album has been certified gold or platinum in 31 countries and global sales have surpassed seven million' Furtado filmed her DVD videos in one of her Get Loose Tour
concerts in Toronto
, it was directed by Raphael Ouellet with Aaron A who was also an audio engineer. The 30 minutes of documentary footage shows Nelly Furtado says "For the last eight years I'd never really travelled with a full production of lights, visuals and dancers," Furtado says of the Get Loose tour, which featured four dancers and a six-piece band. "But this tour I had all of it, which was a real treat."
- Loose: The Concert released in three different versions: A CD album, DVD and the limited deluxe version (Live DVD + Live CD).
- A website was made specially to promote the DVD in Germany including exclusive preview clips from the DVD.
- Festival Mushroom Records and Warner Bros. Records defined different release dates.
- The DVD includes also some extras and Behind-The-Scenes.
- The CD features performances from Furtado's concerts in Manhattan, Oakland and the Bay area.
- Universal Music Group's YouTube user posted two videos from the DVD in late December 2007 to promet the DVD, the first one is her hit single "All Good Things (Come to an End)" and the second one is her first Loose European single "Maneater". As of May 2008 "Maneater" video has received almost 500,000 views .
Live performance description
Nelly Furtado's performance can be described in many songs including "Afraid", "Try", "Crazy", "Do It", "In God's Hands" and from Whoa, Nelly
"Turn off the Light". The first song in the CD is the intro, "Afraid" from Loose
, the dark style song which was a good choice for the concert introduction to add more staggering before the performance. "Try" is other special song, the first sad single in Furtado's whole career which was released from Furtado's 2003 album Flklore
, the audience sing with Nelly in the last part of the song. Gnarls Barkleys
' cover of their hit 2006 single "Crazy
" is another track in the live CD, the audience can be heard singing with Furtado and they seem to be interactive with Nelly. In the last part of the track Nelly says "It's Toronto
crazy I know you are". A remake of Furtado's "Showtime" song can be found. Loose: The Concert
version of "Showtime" is very different style far from the version which included in the original release of Loose
it's similar to Jazz
style while in the album it's more R&B
. Do It
, the last single from Loose
which Nelly choose a special dance in the song's performance. In God's Hands
is another one of the most important songs from the CD which Nelly keen on singing this sad song in her concerts not because it is a sad song but also because it's about Furtado's breakup with DJ Jasper Gahunia, the father of her daughter. "Turn off the Light
" from Furtado's debut album is the last in this section, Furtado used to shout with the audience at the last part of the song in her concerts. The live track of "Turn off the Light" is also remade with a new beat.
Many videos from the DVD were leaked into the internet on YouTube
and many other websites in early November 2007 before the physical release The German DVD promotional website premiered six preview videos: Try
, In God's Hands
, All Good Things (Come to an End)
, Say It Right
and a Behind-The-Scenes video.
- Behind-The-Scenes The Behind-The-Scenes video shows Nelly in the making of her tour and shows her training to perform some songs such as "Glow" and "Turn off the Light" in Black and White colors. The video also includes a parody of Furtado's United States 2006 hit "Promiscuous" which was her first single from Loose. In the parody video, Furtado acts like she is in the home trying to produce new song, and while she is thinking about her next album she receives a Telephone call from a man requesting a new sexy style from Nelly to make millions with that sexy style after Folklore era. At the beginning Furtado doesn't like the idea but after that she likes it after she dreams about "Promiscuous" parody video.
- Afraid/Say It Right The first performance video of the DVD begins with the audience crowd waiting for Furtado's performance in the dark, then the song "Afraid" which was included in Furtado's Loose but didn't release as a single starts with a screen playing some parts from Furtado's "Say It Right" video. The screen removes and the dancers begins dancing with "Say It Right" special dance style. Furtado appears in black clothes and Afro hairstyle then starts singing.
- Showtime The "Showtime" video starts with two male and female dancers dancing romantic dance, the music of "Showtime" which they use in the concert is slower than the album version with a long intro before Nelly Furtado's performance. The two dancers changed with another couple who also dance romantic style dance, while they are dancing Furtado comes and starts singing her Showtime with her floral dress. A screen was used behind Furtado to show the audience the dancers. The video is a little bit longer than other DVD videos, it's more than seven minutes.
- Try The stage changes to a different background. Furtado changes to a different yet elegant outfit and starts singing with a soft and high tone of voice. As she sings "Try", the background changes and the crowd also sings along with her.
- All Good Things (Come to an End) The live video of the song shows Furtado holding her white guitar and singing with her Canadian audience. At the end of the performance Furtado tells her audience to put their hands up singing along with her and whistling. The Canadian rapper Saukrates sings with Nelly in this song as a back up singer.
- I'm like a Bird In the beginning of the video Nelly gives a thanks message to her tour's companion Saukrates. Nelly Furtado starts performing I'm like a Bird with a shout "remix!". The "I'm like a Bird" DVD's version is a new remix of the original one with more Rock beats and some slow parts in the middle of the video. The audience sing the song along with Furtado. The clothes which Nelly wears in the video are white with golden accessories.
- Maneater The video starts with Furtado using her guitar in a fiery guitar intro after that, she starts singing Maneater while the audience is clapping their hands. Nelly Furtado wears black clothing in the video and the stage looks dark with an orange background.
- "Intro (Afraid) / Say It Right" - 5:35
- "Say It Right" - 4:08
- "Turn off the Light" - 4:46
- "Powerless (Say What You Want)" - 3:27
- "Do It"/"Wait For You" - 8:02
- "Showtime" - 7:07
- "Crazy" - 4:03
- "In God's Hands" - 4:39
- "Try" - 5:43
- "All Good Things (Come to an End)" - 4:28
- "Give It to Me" 2:53
- "I'm Like A Bird" - 5:22
- "Glow"/"Heart of Glass" - 5:31
- "Força" - 4:52
- "Promiscuous" - 6:21
- "Party's Just Begun (Again)/"No Hay Igual" - 8:25
- "Maneater" - 7:51
- "Afraid" – 1:37
- "Say It Right" – 4:10
- "Do It" – 5:04
- "Wait For You" – 3:28
- "Showtime" – 7:48
- "All Good Things (Come to an End)" – 4:40
- "I'm Like A Bird " – 5:51
- "Glow" – 5:46
- "No Hay Igual" – 4:57
- "Promiscuous" – 6:56
- "Maneater" – 5:43
Personnel and credits
- Nelly Furtado: vocals
- Aaron A.: direction, audio engineer
- Chris Strikes: audio engineer
- Saukrates: vocals