Generally, a partition
is a splitting of something into parts. The term is used in a variety of senses:
- Partition (law), to divide up a piece of land into separate portions representing the proportionate interests of the tenants. It may also consist of dividing a property with common ownership into identifiable individual ownership
- Disk partitioning organisation of a disk on PC systems
- RTOS or IMA partitioning: In the case of Integrated Modular Avionics and the use of Real-Time Operating Systems, there are at least four types of partitioning often required: spatial partitioning, temporal partitioning, control partitioning and resource partitioning. Using these techniques, high integrity processes are protected from other, or low integrity, processes.
- Partition (database) division of a database into parts
- Logical partition division of a physical memory into protected areas
- List of partition topics
- Partition of a set, a collection of non-empty subsets such that every element belongs to one and only one of the subsets
- Partition (number theory), a way to write a positive integer as a sum of other positive integers; the partition function gives the number of different ways to partition a number
- Multiplicative partition, a way to write an integer greater than 1 as a product of other integers that are also greater than 1.
- Partition problem, an NP-complete problem: given a set of integers, can the set be partitioned into two subsets with equal sums?
- A partition of unity is a set of functions whose sum is the constant function
- Partition of an interval, used in the theory of the Riemann integral and the Riemann-Stieltjes integral
- Partition (music) — a method of creating segments from sets when the twelve-tone technique is used
Notable examples are:
- Office partitions, which may be used to form cubicles
- Folding screens such as Byōbu
- Industrial partitions generally constructed of wire mesh panels. These wire partitions are used to separate and/or secure different zones within an industrial manufacturing or distribution facility.