Littlemore is an Oxfordshire village with a parish council that also represents parts of Rose Hill. It is located approximately 2.5 miles south-east of the city centre of Oxford, England — between Rose Hill, Blackbird Leys, Cowley, and Sandford-on-Thames.
John Henry Newman
Littlemore is now probably best known for the work of Cardinal Newman
, who, while a member of the Church of England
, worked to have a church built for the residents of Littlemore (the first stone was laid by his mother): this is now Saint Mary and Saint Nicholas. He then took up orders with the Roman Catholic Church
(a sensation at the time), and was accepted into the faith by Father Dominic Barberi
, a prominent Passionist
active in England at the time. Newman was declared venerable
by the Congregation for the Causes of Saints
in 1991, and is now on his way to being beatified
. An order of nuns are also resident in Littlemore and live in the aptly named Newman Rooms in College Lane.
Trade unionist Henry Broadhurst was born in the village.
Dominating the South-East side of Littlemore on Sandford Road is the Littlemore Mental Health Centre, which includes Ashurst Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) .
Across the road is the former Littlemore Asylum building, founded in 1846 , which has been converted to private dwellings and renamed "St George's Manor". Mandelbrote Drive, which services the estate, is named for the association with Bertram Mandelbrote, whose pioneering work in the area of the therapeutic community ultimately lead to the move to new accommodation and sale of the building to private developers.