Lithgow railway station is a regional railway station on the Blue Mountains Line of the CityRail intercity network, serving the town of Lithgow in the Central West area of New South Wales, Australia. The station has a single island platform; platform 1 is for 'Up' (towards Sydney) trains, platform 2 is for 'Down' (away from Sydney) trains, as is the convention in NSW.
The station is not the original station - this is located a kilometre or so down the line towards Sydney and, as of July 2008, is still in existence. The station building on the present platform has also been changed; the original building with its goods lift also still exists. East of Lithgow, the ten tunnels deviation
opened in 1910 replacing the original zig-zag with a double track line with gentler gradients. In the 1950's, the line was electrified through Lithgow to Bowenfels
, but Lithgow is the present limit of electrified passenger operations.
Lithgow is served by one train each way every two hours in off-peak, with additional services during peak hours. It is the terminus of the Blue Mountains interurban passenger line- trains arrive on platform 2 to allow passengers to disembark before shunting forwards, then reversing into platform 1 to return to Sydney. The station is located in a cutting and is staffed and equipped with lifts for disabled access. The station is also served by daily CountryLink
XPT services to Dubbo
, the weekly Xplorer to Broken Hill
and the twice-weekly Indian Pacific
train to Adelaide
. A regular bus service contracted to CityRail operates several times a day to Bathurst
along the Great Western Highway
Jones Bros Bus Company
runs ten routes to and from Lithgow railway station:
- Route 100 - to Strathlone Estate.
- Route 101 - to Strathlone Estate.
- Route 200 - to Lithgow Hospital.
- Route 201 - to Lithgow Hospital.
- Route 300 - to Oakey Park.
- Route 400 - to McKellars Park.
- Route 500 - to Vale of Clwydd.
- Route 600 - to Portland.
- Route 631 - to Wallerawang.
- Route 636 - to Bathurst.
This info box is for Eskbank Station 155.347km from Sydney, it opened in June-1874 as Esk Bank Station and renamed Easkbank in 1883 and Lithgow Goods Station on 9-March-1925. Today it is locally known as "Esk Bank" and has a signal box know to railway employees as Yard Box.