Lindenberg im Allgäu is the second largest town of the district of Lindau in Bavaria, Germany. It is an acknowledged air health resort.
The town was first mentioned in 857, when two nobles from "Lintiberc" donated goods to the monastery of St. Gall
. Before becoming a part of Bavaria in 1805 Lindenberg im Allgäu belonged to Austria
As early as 1656 straw hats from Lindenberg were sold by peddling and in markets. In 1755 the production and shipping of straw hats became organized. The hat industry has degraded the last decades and hardly has any economic importance today. The remembrance is borne in an annual "Huttag" ("hat day") as well as in a hat museum.
The main school of the Humboldt Institute
is in Lindenberg.
Important employers are:
Notable people from Lindenberg
- Johann Georg Specht (1720-1803), architect
- Otto Geßler (1875-1955), politician and president of the German Red Cross
- Anton Fehr (1881-1954), agricultural scientist and politician
- Werner Specht (* 1942), painter and chansonnier
- Stephan Huber (* 1952), sculptor
- Klaus Gietinger (*1955), film director and script writer
- Heike Allgayer (* 1969), physician and molecular biologist
- Tobias Steinhauser (* 1972), Cyclist
- Markus Miller (* 1982), football goalkeeper
- Arthur Burkhard (* 1928], picture journalist