Linby is a small village in Nottinghamshire, the nearest town is Hucknall. The village grew up around the mills on the River Leen, from which Linby's name is derived. Small streams known as Linby Docks run on both sides of the main street.
The church of St. Michael, is much restored, but dates back to the 13th century. There are two crosses in the village - Top Cross, was originally medieval and Bottom Cross probably erected around 1660 to celebrate the restoration of King Charles II.
A local legend claims that the Pancake was invented by the women of the village, to celebrate the defeat of Danish invaders who had enslaved them.
Linby won the Best Kept Village in Nottinghamshire Award in 1997.
From 1894 to 1974 the village was part of Basford Rural District. It was then transferred to Gedling Borough. However, a small part of the parish had been transferred to Hucknall Urban District Council in 1935.
Linby is included in the Hidden Valleys area of Nottinghamshire.