Strikers 1945 II is a vertically scrolling shoot 'em up released in 1997 by Japanese company Psikyo. Mistakingly thought to be officially part of the 1942 video game series, it is considered to be more of a tribute to many fans. This game was also ported to the Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn.
Continuing where the last game ended, the forces of CANY had been demolished by the previous Strikers' line-up. However, a small group known as the FGR stole the sources and technology responsible for the last events and planned to continue CANYs work by intiating world-warfare with massive mech technology. Once again, the Strikers are called into action.
All of the aircraft featured in Strikers 1945 II
are based on real World War II
- Lightning (Lockheed P-38 Lightning) USA Special attacks: Level 1 special attack fires a pair of small missiles, the Level 2 fires a pair of large missiles, and Level 3 drops a bomb which creates a giant explosion.
- Flying Pancake (Vought XF5U Flying Flapjack/Pancake) USA Special attacks: Level 1 activates a pair of lasers that fire for a short period of time, while Level 2 fires a laser that engulfs the plane, which makes it hit a wider area, and Level 3 is a combination of the level 1 and 2 attack.
- Focke-Wulf Ta 152 (Focke-Wulf Ta 152) Germany Special attacks: Level 1 fires a magneta colored electric shield which damages anything it touches, Level 2 a bigger version, and Level 3 is the same as 2 but bigger
- Hayate (Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate) Taiwan Special attacks: Level 1 fires a gun drone that stays in one place and fires until it's ammo runs out. level 2 a pair instead of one. level 3 four instead of a pair.
- Shinden Japan (Kyūshū J7W Shinden)Special attacks: Level 1 fires a ghostly energy shot, level 2 is bigger and more damaging, and level 3 is even bigger and more damaging.
- Mosquito UK (De Havilland DH-98 Mosquito)
The player chooses one of 6 WWII-era fighter craft and shoots through eight stages (the first four levels are randomly chosen, and the last four remain the same each play). Once the game is beaten, a report showing how well the player did is displayed, and the game 'loops' with the difficulty much higher. Each game (on default settings) begins with three lives, and an extend
is earned at 600,000. When all lives are lost, the option to continue is given but the score is reset.
Each plane in the Strikers 1945
series has three attacks.
- Normal shot (Tap the A button): A spray of bullets that can be strengthened by collecting power-ups.
- Charge shot (Hold the A button until a sound is heard, then release): An attack that varies for each ship and is based upon a charge meter. The meter is composed of four levels ranging from empty to Level 3. The more the meter is filled, the greater the potency of the attack.
- Bomb (Press the B button): An attack that varies for each ship, the bomb calls support craft to aid the player. They help block enemy bullets and also give support fire.
Power-ups are released by shooting certain enemies in Strikers 1945 II, mainly red ones. When a power-up is collected, the player's normal shot becomes more powerful and a secondary shot (such as homing missiles) may become available. Up to four power-ups can be collected, any after that are worth 4000 points. It is possible to power-down at any time by colliding with any enemy craft.
At the beginning of the game, the player has a stock of two bombs. By destroying certain enemy craft, usually larger ones, a bomb icon will be released and bounce around the screen. When collected, another bomb will be added to the player's stock. A total of nine can be collected, any other icons will reward the player with 10000 points.
Gold bars can be found by destroying certain buildings or enemies and are collected for points. Each bar flashes white for short span of time, and if the player collects the bar while it is flashing it is worth more points. Points range from 200, 500, 1000, and 2000.
Suyumi type 0-A - Japan: large flying boat that transforms into a legless flying mech.
Goliath- Iraq: An armored train, which turns into a legged mech that skates on rail tracks.
Graff Zeppelin- Germany: An Aircraft carrier that turns into a mech with a cannon and a part of the runway that is used as a projectile launcher,when both arms are destroyed a gun array is used against you which is also the mech's main part.
Iron Casket- Great Britain: A gigantic airship that launches a mech that seems based on the V-22 osprey.
Rommel- North Africa: A giant fortress that has a gigantic cannon and an unlimited number of guns driven by rail tracks,when the cannon is destroyed a scorpion-like mech appears with cannons on the pincers,front end and a large one on the back.
Cross Sinker- U.S East Coast: A Massive submarine that turns into a mech with 4 legs with vertical jets to keep it floating and has a cannon arm,a pincer attached to a chain,a cannon on the "chest" area and can retract both of them to fire a wave of gunfire.
Blockade- ???: A full Mech that was made immediately once you destroyed the 2nd sub-boss armed with a rifle,a backpack with cluster cannons,mines and lasers
Brazil (S7.5- W62.4)- An alien with a shell like that of an invertebrate once the shell is destroyed it becomes an octopus like creature with tiny arms,once it takes enough damage it's head fights you till it's destroyed
Agetec released Strikers 1945 II for the PlayStation in the US under the title Strikers 1945.