(born Alexander Paul Hixon), (Nur al-Anwar al-Jerrahi
) (1941-1995), an accomplished poet, philosopher and spiritual practitioner and teacher, extensively explored the truth of the great religious traditions. He documented these explorations in nine books and many articles and teachings given to various groups. Most of his writing focuses on his conviction that all of the great religions are true. This idea was sparked by his reading of the life of Sri Ramakrishna
who gave these radical teachings in 19th century Calcutta
. It became a passionate conviction for Lex and he made his life a witness to this belief by fully immersing himself in multiple religious practices and studies. This was not a research project, it was an act of faith
Originally a disciple of Swami Nikhilananda of the Ramakrishna Order, a Hindu and Vedantist, as Nur al-Anwar al-Jerrahi, Lex became a teacher in a traditional Sufi lineage, the Jerrahi Order of Dervishes. He co-founded the Nur Ashki Jerrahi Sufi Order in the United States, named for his teacher Sheikh Muzaffer Ozak (Ashki). He simultaneously remained involved in various religions, or as he called them, "parallel sacred worlds". His experience of being "orthodox in five different spiritual traditions" produced a unique philosophy, a "theory of relativity for religions". He touched thousands of lives with his warm, joyful manner of teaching, celebrating, and encouraging spiritual seekers of all kinds.
Lex Hixon's literary works came about from direct experience in the field of spirituality combined with intellectual refinement and human sensitivity. Being intensely involved in both the cultures and religions of the world, his was a view of universal acceptance honed by discrimination and dedicated to harmony based on unity.
- ISBN 0-8356-0822-0 The Heart of the Qur'an: An Introduction to Islamic Spirituality
- ISBN 0-943914-74-4 Coming Home, The Experience of Enlightenment in Sacred Tradition
- ISBN 0-8356-0702-X Mother of the Universe: Visions of the Goddess and Tantric Hymns of Enlightenment
- ISBN 0-8356-0689-9 Mother of the Buddhas: Meditation on the Prajnaparamita Sutra
- ISBN 81-208-1297-2 Great Swan: Meetings with Ramakrishna
- ISBN 1-879708-17-5 101 Diamonds from the Oral Tradition of the Glorious Messenger Muhammad
- ISBN 0-943914-75-2 Living Buddha Zen
- ISBN 1-879708-04-3 Blessed Virgin Mary/Hazreti Maryam (Ashki Book)
- ISBN 1-879708-10-8 Sufi Meditation