Levi Thomas Griffin
) was a politician from the U.S. state
Griffin, born in Clinton, New York
, was named for his maternal grandfather, Levi Thomas of Utica, New York
. He moved with his parents to Rochester, Michigan
in the fall of 1847. He graduated from the University of Michigan
at Ann Arbor
in 1857 where he had studied law. While studying for the bar
, he was employed as a court deputy in the Federal District Court
through the assistance of a fellow University of Michigan alumni, William A. Moore, who was then Assistant United States District Attorney
. Griffin was admitted to the bar
in May 1858 and in November moved to Grand Rapids
, where he begin to practice in the office of prominent Western Michigan lawyer Lucius Patterson. After a fire destroyed the offices in April 1860, along with most of the records of Kent County
, Griffin returned to Detroit where he was employed in the law offices of Moore until January 1862, when they formed a partnership named "Moore and Griffin".
Griffin was commissioned by Governor Austin Blair
, as Supernumerary Second Lieutenant
in Company C of the Fourth Michigan Cavalry
, and was mustered into service on August 13
. He was promoted to full Second Lieutenant on December 18
and assigned to duty as Brigade Inspector. On February 1
, he was promoted to First Lieutenant
, and then on April 15
as regimental Adjutant
. On February 24
, he was commissioned as Captain
, and on September 15
was assigned as Acting Assistant Adjutant General
of the Second Cavalry Division
. On December 25
, he became Acting Assistant Adjutant General
of the Cavalry Corps of the Military Division of the Mississippi
, with Major General James H. Wilson
commanding. He was mustered out of service on July 1
and was subsequently brevetted Major
of United States Volunteers
by President Andrew Johnson
on March 13
for gallant and meritorious service during the American Civil War
After the war, Griffin returned to practice law in Detroit in his partnership with William A. Moore. On September 1
, formed a new partnership with Donald M. Dickinson
under the name "Griffin and Dickinson". In 1883, he formed a new partnership, "Griffin & Warner", with Carlos E. Warner, who had become a partner with Moore after Griffin left. In 1888, the firm became "Griffin, Warner, Hunt & Berry". In 1890, when Berry retired and Hunt was elected assistant prosecuting attorney for Detroit, the firm's name returned to "Griffin & Warner". The firm was dissolved January 1
Griffin was the Fletcher professor of law in the University of Michigan Law School 1886-1897. He was an unsuccessful candidate for the Michigan Supreme Court in 1887.
In November 1893, Griffin was elected a Democrat from Michigan's 1st congressional district to the Fifty-third Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the death of John Logan Chipman, serving from December 4, 1893 to March 3, 1895. He was an unsuccessful candidate for re-election in 1894, losing to Republican John Blaisdell Corliss.
Levi Griffin resumed the practice of his profession and became pension agent in 1896 and 1897. He died in Detroit and was interred in Woodmere Cemetery.
In 1873, he converted from Presbyterian
, being confirmed in St. John's Episcopal Church
. He was married October 8
, to Mary Cabot Wickware of Detroit. They raised three children: William, Laura Moore, and Mary McClaren Griffin.
- Retrieved on 2008-02-14
- Political Graveyard
- Barnard, F. A. (2005). American biographical history of eminent and self-made men ... Michigan volume. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan Library.
- Ross, Robert Budd (2005). Landmarks of Detroit; : a history of the city. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan Library.
- U.S. Congress. Senate Executive Journal #9th Congress, 1st session, Monday, March 12, 1866, p. 623, consideration of President Johnson's request for Griffin's brevet
- Griffin, Levi T. Cases on Personal Property. St. Paul, Minn.: West, 1895. (Printed at the request of Levi T. Griffin, A. M. Fletcher Professor of Law in the University of Michigan, for use in connection with his lectures in that school)