Landowner Jean-Jacques Perret started some housing developments in 1822 in the northeast of the commune of Neuilly-sur-Seine, in a place soon called Champerret ("champ perret" meaning "field of Perret"), which gave its name to one station of the Paris Métro. Later in 1845 Nicolas-Eugène Levallois started some housing developments for landowner André Noël on his land near La Planchette (in the commune of Clichy). The land developed by Nicolas-Eugène Levallois soon became know as the Village Levallois.
In the 1860s the Village Levallois and Champerret had grown to the point of forming a single built-up area. Several demands were made to the authorities for the incorporation of the area as a commune.
On June 30, 1866 the commune of Levallois-Perret was eventually created by detaching that part of the territory of Clichy where the Village Levallois stood and merging it with that part of the territory of Neuilly-sur-Seine where stood Champerret.
Levallois-Perret became an important center of the early French automotive industry with the implantation of companies such as Clément-Bayard, Delage or the coachbuilder Chapron. Citroën purchased the Clément-Bayard factory and the famous Citroën 2CV was produced in Levallois for nearly forty years. Levallois-Perret was also an important centre of cosmetics industry in the early 20th century. It is also home to the large European commercial real estate company Atisreal.
The municipality of Levallois-Perret operates two free bus lines circulating the town.
The traditional coat of arms for the city puts emphasis on the importance of industry in the city's history. The centre of the arms consists of a shield with red background; a yellow gear in the bottom left and a yellow perfume diffuser in the top right represent the mechanical and perfume industries.
Three yellow bees, are depicted on a white bend sable from the top left to bottom right of the shield, these are another symbol of work in the city, beekeeping taking place at the île de la Jatte. The coat of arms also has a wreath at the bottom around the shield and three castles topping the shield; both in yellow. VILLE DE / LEVALLOIS - PERRET, is inscribed in black letters above the coat of arms.
A cartoon stylised bee is maintained in the modern logo of the city.