is a residential eastern suburb of Geelong
and is a gateway to the Bellarine Peninsula
The area was formerly known as Kensington. The Post Office opened as Kensington on 19 May 1858, and was renamed Kensington Hill in 1882, Leopold Hill in 1884 and Leopold in 1885.
The Town today
The Bellarine Rail Trail
passes through Leopold. The Gateway Plaza is situated on the corner of the Bellarine Peninsula and Melaluka road, it is home to Coles
, Red Rooster
, La Porchetta
and other shops. Leopold is constructing two new residential developments called the Kensington estate, and the Gateway estate. Many of the available land has been sold. Houses are either in construction and others near finished.
The town has an Australian Rules football team competing in the Geelong Football League.
As of 2007, Leopold consists of three sources of education.