The Legislative Council Building (former 立法局大樓)of Hong Kong, also called the Former Supreme Court Building (前最高法院大樓), was the home of the former Supreme Court until 1985, when it was renamed and became home to the Legislative Council of Hong Kong. It is located in Central Hong Kong, along the eastern side of Statue Square, directly west of Chater Garden.
It was built on reclaimed land, and opened on January 15, 1912. The two-storey granite building is neo-classical in style supported by Ionic columns. It is surmounted by a blind-folded statue of Justice, represented by the Greek goddess Themis. This statue is a replica of the one erected on the Old Bailey of London.
In 1978, this building was severely affected by the construction of MTR; therefore, it had to undergo some restoration afterwards.
The Exterior of the Old Supreme Court is one of the 80 declared monuments of Hong Kong.
Before 1985, the Legco met at three other locations:
Prior to the handover in 1997, the Provisional Legislative Council was executing work to setup the post handover legislature. It met in Shenzhen, Guangzhou, China from 1996 to 1997 at the Shenzhen Guesthouse Hotel.