The Leal Senado, Portuguese for Loyal Senate, was the seat of Macau's government (Legislative Assembly of Macau) during its time as a Portuguese colony. It is located at one end of the Senado Square. The title was bestowed on Macau's government in 1810 by Portugal's Prince-Regent João, who would later become King John VI of Portugal. This was a reward for Macau's loyalty to Portugal during the Iberian Union, between 1580 and 1640.
The building itself was erected in 1784. After the handover of Macau to China in 1999 it became the headquarters of the Institute of Civic & Municipal Affairs (Instituto para os Assuntos Cívicos e Municipais).