On 19 July 1944, the air force base was attacked by 45 B-24 bombers of USAAF 8th Air Force, dropping 115 tons of explosives and incendiary devices, while escorting fighter aircraft attacked the air base in low-level flight. The raid caused considerable damage, completely destroying ten planes (seven Messerschmitt Bf 110, one Arado Ar 96 and one Messerschmitt Bf 108). Four other planes were partially damaged. The technical equipment of the air force units, a hangar, barracks and air traffic control, as well as three previously completed helicopters of the type Focke-Achgelis Fa 223 were destroyed. An anti-aircraft unit received a direct hit, killing one soldier and injuring four. Two days later, another anti-aircraft unit shot down a B-24 bomber which had sustained considerable damage during an air raid on Munich, therefore flying at low level. The crew managed to bail out but due to heavy shelling by anti-aircraft units, the roof of the church in nearby Baustetten received considerable damage.
The next attack took place on 31 July 1944. Eleven P-51 Mustangs carried out a low-level attack, completely destroying two Messerschmitt Bf 110 and an Italian trainer and damaging two further Messerschmitt Bf 110. Consequently, the anti-aircraft units stationed around the air base were beginning to get nervous, so that, when on 9 August 1944, 28 planes suddenly appeared from the direction of Schwendi, these units instantly opened fire, managing to shoot down one plane. However, the planes were German aircraft of 4th Fighter Wing "Udet", equipped with Focke-Wulf Fw 190. After that, the production plant of Focke-Achgelis was evacuated to Ochsenhausen. On 26 November 1944, ten P-47 Thunderbolt attacked the air force base causing only slight damage.
On 2 April 1945, 2nd Group of 53rd Fighter Wing, flying Messerschmitt Bf 109, was transferred to Laupheim. On 18 April and 19 April 1945, the base was attacked yet again, as a result of which one soldier was killed. The following day, the base came under heavy attack by French bombers and their protecting aircraft, destroying or severely damaging all planes stationed on the base. On 21 April 1945, the remnants of 2nd Group of 53rd fighter Fighter Wing were transferred to Schongau in Bavaria.
On the grounds of the former German Air Force base, completely new military installations were constructed in 1964, designated to house helicopters of the German Army Aviators Corps. While the building works were still in progress, the General Staff moved the headquarters of German Army Aviators Corps Command 2 from Ulm to Laupheim. Operational flying started soon afterwards and the first helicopters stationed on the base were Sikorsky H-34.
In 1971, following a period of continuous growth of German Army Aviators Corps, a reorganisation of all the units in southern Germany took place, which resulted in Laupheim becoming the headquarters of all German Army Aviators Corps units in southern Germany. The battalion and the maintenance squadron based in Laupheim were joined together to form German Army Aviators Corps Medium Transport Regiment 25.
In 1972, the CH-53 replaced the by now obsolete Sikorsky H-34 and has been in service ever since.
In the following period, helicopters from Laupheim saw more than 120.000 hours in action in as different places as Italy, Greece, the Pyrenees and the Alps, mainly by offering help and logistic support after natural disasters.
In 1994, German Army Aviators Corps Regiment 20 in Neuhausen ob Eck together with their base was dissolved. The helicopters from that base were partly transferred to Laupheim in order to form German Army Aviators Corps Support Squadron 10. Later, this squadron was also dissolved and its helicopters incoporated into German Army Aviators Corps Medium Transport Regiment 25. In the same year, the existence of Headquarters of German Army Aviators Corps Command 2 in Laupheim was discontinued and the base together with its staff was incorporated into a new command structure.
Beginning in the early 1990s, helicopters from the German Army Aviators Corps Medium Transport Regiment 25 saw active service in as various part as the Balkans, Iraq, Afghanistan and Democratic Republic of the Congo under the auspices of either NATO, the UN or the EU. In 1995, after a further restructuring of the Bundeswehr, during which a large number of bases were closed, German Army Aviators Corps Medium Transport Regiment 25 was given the honorary name Oberschwaben (i.e. Upper Swabia), this being a result of the German Army's continuing commitment to the base.
In 2002, German Army Aviators Corps Medium Transport Regiment 25 was incorporated into the Airmobile Operations Division (Division Luftbewegliche Operationen).