The Laredo Air Force Base, formerly Laredo Army Air Field was a military instalation in Laredo, Texas. The Laredo Army Air Field began operations as a World War II military installation in November 1942. It had a gunnery range and a gunnery school. The field became inactive in late 1945, and the property reverted to the city of Laredo, which used it as a municipal airport in 1950. The base was reactivated and renamed Laredo Air Force Base in April 1952 to provide basic flight training for jet pilots, including pilot trainees from 24 countries. The Laredo Air Force Base utilized the vast cattle ranges to the northwest of the city as aerial gunnery range. Units stationed in LAFB were 38th Flying Training Wing and 3640th Pilot Training Wing. It was closed permanently in 1973 and was turned into the Laredo International Airport.