One of the first recorded landowners was Gerard de Rodes in the 12th century. The de Rodes family served as soldiers for King John who visited Langar in 1215. The estate then passed to the Tibetots in the 13th century. Following the marriage of Margaret Tibetot to Roger Scrope, 2nd Baron Scrope of Bolton in 1373, the estate passed to the Scrope family.
The last Lord Scrope who was associated with Langar was Emanuel Scrope, 1st Earl of Sunderland. Emanuel's estate was inhertited by Annabella, his illegitimate daughter. In 1677, Annabella married the Gloucestershire politician, John Howe. According to Thoroton, Langar Hall and nearly the whole parish had lately become the estate of Mr Howe.
A famous descendant of the Howe's was Richard Howe, 1st Earl Howe, famous for his victory in the sea battle known as "The Glorious First of June". Admiral Howe died in 1799 and was buried in Langar Church.
Another famous son of Langar was the author Samuel Butler whose father, Thomas, was rector of Langar-cum-Barnstone.
Adjacent to the church is Langar Hall, once the home of Earl Howe. The present building was constructed in 1837 and was later bought by Annie Bayley, wife of Thomas Bayley, the former MP for Chesterfield. It is now a restaurant and hotel.
We know from pieces of evidence recovered from various places around the Vale of Belvoir that in the 1600's Robert Earnstock committed a series of robberies from numerous places in the area. We know from letters that were later discovered he was raising money to travel to his wife-to-be who lived somewhere to the north of England. Earnstock kept the treasure hidden away until he had raised a small fortune, as he neared his goal Earnstock was caught and hanged for his offences. Earnstock's treasure was never found and is believed to be buried somewhere around the outskirts of the village. If found now the rarity of the items would make them priceless and many historians dream one day to find it.
The Unicorn's Head public house was built in 1717 and had its own brewhouse which can still be identified by its unusual three tier chimney to the south of the building. The public house was originally known as 'The Feathers'. The name was taken from the plume of feathers in the Howe family crest. The current name was adopted following the purchase of the estate in 1799 (following Admiral Howe's death) by John Wright the Nottingham banker and one of the founders of the Butterley Company; he had a unicorn's head as his family crest. The Unicorn's Head was a coaching inn in the 19th century and the original stables can still be seen around the back of the building.