Landing Platform, Helicopter (LPH)
is the US Navy hull classification symbol
for the amphibious assault ships
of the Iwo Jima class
and three converted Essex class aircraft carriers
No ships of this classification are currently in active service with the United States Navy, having been replaced with multi-purpose ships classified as Landing Helicopter Dock or Landing Helicopter Assault ships. France now operates the , which has a helicopter deck and well dock. The Royal Navy operates the only LPH type ship still in operation, .
United States Navy
The Royal Navy
Also has operated LPH type ships calling them commando carriers
- – emergency minimal conversion for Suez Crisis
- – emergency minimal conversion for Suez Crisis Colossus-class aircraft carrier
- – Converted Colossus-class aircraft carrier
- – Converted
- – Converted Centaur-class aircraft carrier
- – New design based on the , Currently in service.
- - Equipped and tasked as an LPH while Ocean is in refit; primary duty as a fleet carrier.