Lanai, island, 141 sq mi (365 sq km), central Hawaii, W of Maui island across the Auau Channel; Mt. Lanaihale (3,370 ft/1,027 m) is the island's highest point. For many years the island was used for sugarcane raising and cattle grazing. In 1922 it was purchased by a pineapple company and developed as a pineapple-growing center. Lanai City (1990 pop. 2,400) and Kaumalapau port are on the island. In 1961, 98% of the island became the property of the Castle and Cooke Co., with plans to designate a large majority of Lanai for the development of forests, meadows, and some agriculture.