The School of St. Mary was founded in 1917 by the Church of St. Mary in Lake Forest, Illinois. The pastor at the time was Father Francis J. Barry. The school began with one hundred twenty-five students in a small building, which is sill standing and holding classes to date. An addition was built in 1958. In 1995, St. Mary's expanded into two campuses, the PGC (Primary Grade Center) and the UGC (Upper Grade Center [the original building]).The school is part of the Archdiocese of Chicago. Grades go from pre kindergarden to 8th grade. There is no air conditioning in upper grade center. The PGC (primary grade center) has air conditioning.
St. Mary’s is also a well-known powerhouse in the Lake County Catholic Conference, consistently winning Boys Basketball (1990,91,92,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,00,01,02,04,05,06,07,08) and Football Championships (1995,96,97,98,99,00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08). The 2000 Football team went undefeated and allowed just 7 points all season. Also the St Mary's class of 7th grade team basketball team has a ton of talent. There forwards and point guards are dominant. The St. Marys 7th and 8th grade football team has joined the public football league. They also have a great volleyball team winning the championship three years in a row for the fifth and sixth grade team. The volleyball team will continue to look for dominance in the 2009 season.
Notes and references