, a lactosylceramide 4-alpha-galactosyltransferase
is an enzyme
the chemical reaction
- UDP-galactose + beta-D-galactosyl-(1->4)-D-glucosylceramide UDP + alpha-D-galactosyl-(1->4)-beta-D-galactosyl-(1->4)-D- glucosylceramide
Thus, the two substrates of this enzyme are UDP-galactose and beta-D-galactosyl-(1->4)-D-glucosylceramide, whereas its 3 products are UDP, alpha-D-galactosyl-(1->4)-beta-D-galactosyl-(1->4)-D-, and glucosylceramide.
This enzyme belongs to the family of glycosyltransferases, specifically the hexosyltransferases. The systematic name of this enzyme class is UDP-galactose:lactosylceramide 4II-alpha-D-galactosyltransferase. Other names in common use include Galbeta1-4Glcbeta1-Cer alpha1,4-galactosyltransferase, globotriaosylceramide/CD77 synthase, and histo-blood group Pk UDP-galactose. This enzyme participates in glycosphingolipid biosynthesis - globoseries and glycan structures - biosynthesis 2.
- Bailly P, Piller F, Cartron JP, Leroy Y, Fournet B "Identification of UDP-galactose: lactose (lactosylceramide) alpha-4 and beta-3 galactosyltransferases in human kidney". Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 141 84–91.
- Nilsson Sojka B, Bennett EP, Jersild C, Clausen H "Cloning and expression of the histo-blood group Pk UDP-galactose: Ga1beta-4G1cbeta1-cer alpha1, 4-galactosyltransferase. Molecular genetic basis of the p phenotype". J. Biol. Chem. 275 16723–9.
- Suzuki Y, Urano T, Ohta M, Furukawa K "Molecular cloning of globotriaosylceramide/CD77 synthase, a glycosyltransferase that initiates the synthesis of globo series glycosphingolipids". J. Biol. Chem. 275 15152–6.
- The CAS registry number for this enzyme class is .
Gene Ontology (GO) codes