See English translations of the fables by J. Auslander and J. Le Clercq (1930), E. Marsh (1933), M. Moore (1954), and J. Mitchie (1982); biography by A. E. Mackay (1973); study by P. A. Wadsworth (1952, repr. 1970).
Doué-la-Fontaine is the site of the oldest habitable donjon (keep) in France, dating back to the year 900. No traces of Doué's medieval fortifications remains, save the names of "gates" given to certain streets. The castle is widely believed to have been the first european castle to be built out of stone (at around 950).
Nearby are the troglodyte dwellings, where the inhabitants took refuges from the Normans, and commercial mushroom-growing caves. The stone of Doué-la-Fontaine was quarried for sarcophagi 4 km from the town. The Zoo of Doué-la-Fontaine is partly built within the network of the troglodytes sites and dwellings. Recently, a cave containing sarcophagi was unearthed.
Known as the rose capital of France, a "Festival of the Rose" is held in July of each year where in one park alone more than 800 varieties can be seen.