Each locomotive was named after a princess, the official name for the class was chosen as Mary, Princess Royal was the Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Scots. However, they were known to railwaymen as "Lizzies", after the second example of the class named for Princess Elizabeth who later became Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom. Later examples of express passenger locomotive built by the LMS were of the related but larger, Princess Coronation Class.
After nationalisation in 1948, British Railways renumbered her 46201. 46201 was withdrawn in 1962, and was bought by the then Princess Elizabeth Locomotive Society straight from BR service when withdrawn.
46201 was initially kept at the Dowty Railway Preservation Society's premises at Ashchurch, Glos, and then subsequently at the Bulmers Railway Centre in Hereford. When the Bulmers Centre closed in the 1990s the loco moved to the East Lancashire Railway where she now resides when not out on main line tours.
After withdrawal, 46203 was bought by Billy Butlin of Butlin's holiday camps. After cosmetic restoration at Crewe, it was moved to Pwllheli in Gwynedd, arriving there in May 1963. It remained there until 1975 when it departed for the Midland Railway Centre in Derbyshire.
Butlins sold the engine for £60,000 in 1985 when restoration to working order started; this was being completed in 1990. The locomotive is now based at the Midland Railway Centre in Derbyshire and is owned by the Princess Royal Locomotive Trust, which also owns another Stanier pacific, 6233 Duchess of Sutherland.
|Scrapped after the Harrow and Wealdstone rail crash.|
|46203||Preserved. Owned by the Princess Royal Class Locomotive Trust|
|46205||Fitted with modified valve gear, 1947.Converted back to normal 1955|