Kushtia, Kushtia district or Kushtia Zilla is a district in the Khulna administrative division of western Bangladesh. Kushtia has existed as a separate district since the partition of India. Prior to that, Kushtia was a part of Nadia District under Bengal Province of British India. Kushtia was home of many famous people, especially authors and poets. Present day Kushtia is known for the Islamic University, Shilaidaha Kuthibari and Lalon's shrine.
Kushtia, however, is not an ancient township. A river port was developed in the district during the reign of Emperor Shahjahan. Although the British East India Company made extensive use of the port, it was not until indigo planters and traders settled that the township began to grow. A railway connection with Kolkata, capital of British India, made in 1860, made the town an alluring location for mills and factories, including the Jagneshwar Engineering Works (1896), Renwick and Company (1904), and the Mohini Mills (1919).
In 1860, the Indigo Resistance Movement spread throughout the Bengal province. Shalghar Madhua in Kushtia district was one of the forerunners in this movement. It inspired all indigo farmers in Kushtia to refrain from paying government taxes. The British government deployed an army platoon under the command of GG Morrison, to investigate into the matter. After negotiating with the farmers Morrison convinced the farmers to restart payment of taxes. Subsequently, with the publication of the Indigo Commission Report an Act was passed prohibiting coercion of cultivators for indigo cultivation and the measure led to the end of the movement.
During the Partition of India, Kushtia was made a separate district, consisting of Kushtia Sôdor, Chuadanga and Meherpur subdivisions, in 1947. The town once again became attractive for development with the establishment of the Ganges-Kobadak Project (also known as G-K Project) headquarters and a number of government offices in 1954. GK Project is a large surface irrigation system which was started in 1954, though the first corp under this project was not grown until 1962-63. The whole project was divided into two units, the Kushtia Unit and the Jessore Unit. The Kushtia unit completed in two parts, Phase-I and Phase-II. Phase-I had a command area of 85,020 ha, of which 48,700 ha are irrigable. Phase-II had a command area of 117,814 ha, of which 93,300 ha are irrigable.
The district of Kushtia had significant contribution to Bangladesh Liberation War. A 147 member company of the 27th Baluch Regiment of Pakistan army reached Kushtia on 25 March 1971 from its base at Jessore cantonment. Although they initially captured the local police station and settled an outpost there, soon they faced a considerable resistance from a group of police, ansars, students and local people. By April 1, the Pakistany army was completely overpowered and the muktibahini took control of Kushtia. Later on April 17, 1971 the Bangladesh Government in-exile formally announced Proclamation of Independence at Baidyanathtala (re-named Mujibnagar after the proclamation), a border area in present Meherpur district, then a subdivision of Kushtia district. The Proclamation so announced in effect provided the fundamental instrument of law as well as an interim constitution of the mujibnagar government during the war of liberation, including that of the government in liberated Bangladesh until the adoption of the Constitution, made effective from 16 December 1972. Subsequently direct encounters between the Pakistan army and the rebels were held at many places of the district including Bangshitala at Kumarkhali, Daulatpur
After the independence of Bangladesh several different development projects were undertaken in the district of Kushtia. On November 22, 1979 the foundation stone of The Islamic University was laid at Shantidanga - Dalulpur under the districts of Kustia-Jhenidah. However, In 1982 the University was shifted to Gazipur and admission of students began in the session of 1985-86. Later on 10th January, 1990 the University re-shifted to its original site at Shantidanga Dulalpur. In 1984, two subdivisions of Kushtia: Chuadanga and Meherpur were named separate districts.
Ganges, Gôrai, Mathabhanga, Kaligônga, and Kumar are the main rivers flowing through the district. The average high temperature is 37.8°C and the average low is 11.2°C. Annual rainfall averages 1,467 millimetres.
Kushtia was created as a district in 1947 with the partitioning of India and the creation of Bangladesh. Initially, Kushtia consisted of the Kushtia Sadar (Kushtia City), Chuadanga and Meherpur subdivisions. Each of these subdivisions was later converted to a separate district for ease of management. Kushtia district consists of seven upazilas, four municipalities, 39 wards, 70 mahallas, 61 union parishads, 710 mouzas, and 978 villages. The upazilas are Kushtia Sadar, Kumarkhali, Daulatpur, Mirpur, Bheramara, Khoksa and Islamic University.
Kushtia is home to the Islamic University; it also has the following educational institutions:
Other noted educational institutions include Mission Primary School (est. 1898),Khash Mathurapur High School (est. 1942), Kushtia Government University College (est. 1947), Kushtia Islamia College (est. 1968), Kushtia High School and Kushtia Zilla School (est. 1960), Bagoan Khirad Chanda Bidya Niketan.
short information:: List of Information
The shrine of Lalon Fakir, the founder of the Baoul faith is located at Cheouria, about 2 km from the Kustia railway station. Dr. Mohd.Fazlul Haque Shikhkha Complex at Bagoan about 42 km from Kustia town. More historical place is Tarun's house. His house is one of the most historical places, because he think he is the best in Bangladesh.