As Kunersdorf, the village was first documented in 1337 as part of the Neumark region of the Margraviate of Brandenburg. In 12 August 1759 at the Battle of Kunersdorf, the Prussian army of King Frederick the Great of Prussia was destroyed in Kunersdorf by Russian and Austrian armies. In 1815 after the Napoleonic Wars it became part of the Prussian Province of Brandenburg. Kunersdorf became part of the German Empire in 1871 during the unification of Germany, and was administered within the district Weststernberg in 1873. Kunersdorf was placed under Polish administration in 1945 according to the Potsdam Agreement and renamed Kunowice.
The Kunowice railway station appeared in the 2004 German film Distant Lights (Lichter).