On January 17, 1849, Heinrich Ludwig Kreische purchased of land, which included the tomb. He built a three-story house and, in 1860, began building a brewery. By 1879, it was the third largest brewing operation in Texas, with its flagship product being "Kreische's Bluff Beer." Kreische maintained the tomb for the rest of his life, but the tomb and Kreische Brewery began to deteriorate after his death in 1882. The brewery closed in 1884.
The Kreische family made several requests to have the tomb removed from their property, as it was frequently vandalized. On April 15,1905, a new law passed by the Texas Legislature authorized acquisition, by purchase or condemnation, of .36 acres of land that the grave was on. The state acquired the land by condemnation on June 24, 1907. In 1933, the State Highway Commission fenced the .36 acres and agreed to maintain it as a state park. In the same year, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas purchased a new granite vault for the tomb. For the 1936 Texas Centennial, the Texas Centennial Commission erected a shellstone monument with an art deco mural to prominently mark the mass grave.
Authority for the site was transferred to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department in 1949. In 1956, The citizens of Fayette County purchased 3.54 acres around Monument Hill and deeded the land to the state for parkland. Another 36 acres, including the Kreische Brewery and the Kreische Home were added in 1977. The complete site opened to the public in 1983, after archaeological studies were completed.